Government Instruct Train Companies To Close Ticket Offices-True Or False?

Just now, RollingJ said:

RMT is a dinosaur union - if they had their way, we would still be using steam trains.

In many of the photos they are posting the ticket machines all seem to be "out of service". its as if its a planned campaign involving the station staff to turn all the machines off for 10 minutes in order to get the photo taken. Maybe I am just a cynic though.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

In many of the photos they are posting the ticket machines all seem to be "out of service". its as if its a planned campaign involving the station staff to turn all the machines off for 10 minutes in order to get the photo taken. Maybe I am just a cynic though.

Or maybe not. I admit some of the machines at Sheffield - and elsewhere - can on the odd occasion be wonky, but you usually find this is the 'collection only' ones - the ones that allow you to actually select and purchase tickets usually seem to be working.

18 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The village I grew up in has one train an hour in each direction and as far as I know STILL has a manned ticket office, surely thats just a waste.

do they perhaps do other things in between selling tickets and advising passengers

It's a 'consultation' at the moment. I believe Sheffield is on the list. Of course it's really all about saving money in the interests of profits.

But so far everything I've seen in vox pop has been against it. It particularly adversely affects the elderly and the disabled. 

We have to fight these sort of moves which are dehumanising so many experiences.

Just now, Anna B said:

It's a 'consultation' at the moment. I believe Sheffield is on the list. Of course it's really all about saving money in the interests of profits.

But so far everything I've seen in vox pop has been against it. It particularly adversely affects the elderly and the disabled. 

We have to fight these sort of moves which are dehumanising so many experiences.

So getting staff out on to platforms/concourses 'particularly adversely affects the elderly and the disabled. ' How?

Just now, melthebell said:

Mick Lynch recently did an interview where he states the Government want all stations less manned and thats one of the reasons for the strikes

Mick Lynch would say that - and this topic is nothing to do with the current industrial action - or lack thereof.