Government Instruct Train Companies To Close Ticket Offices-True Or False?

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Enlighten me - I would think having more staff visibly active would be more help?

if there are to be more staff, then put them behind a desk, to sell tickets, until such time as the govt turns the rail system into a tap-in/tap-out pay per mile system as would be sensible.

older people haven't grown up with their eyes wedded to a smartphone, and cant be arsed to faff about with machines offering 200 ticketing options for one journey, or typing long codes to redeem their online ticket purchase

12 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Mick Lynch would say that - and this topic is nothing to do with the current industrial action - or lack thereof.

funnily enough as you get older daily tasks get harder to do, a person being on hand just in case is a plus, as is Stations not turning into scary places at night for the elderly, disabled, women etc, rife with pissheads, druggies, muggers, rapists etc

Again if you get attacked you'd prefer there was a member of staff there to intervene or call the police, again its what Mick Lynch was saying in his interview, all makes common sense, He said its all down to these companies seeing a way to make more profit by using less staff at the cost of customer safety and experience.

Just now, melthebell said:

funnily enough as you get older daily tasks get harder to do, a person being on hand just in case is a plus, as is Stations not turning into scary places at night for the elderly, disabled, women etc, rife with pissheads, druggies, muggers, rapists etc

Again if you get attacked you'd prefer there was a member of staff there to intervene or call the police, again its what Mick Lynch was saying in his interview, all makes common sense

Still got little, if anything with getting more staff onto platforms/concourses, and the BTP are around to deal with the trouble you mention.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Still got little, if anything with getting more staff onto platforms/concourses, and the BTP are around to deal with the trouble you mention.

I never mentioned more staff, i said having somebody in an office at the very least, which is what he said the end game is, make them staffless

2 minutes ago, fools said:

if there are to be more staff, then put them behind a desk, to sell tickets, until such time as the govt turns the rail system into a tap-in/tap-out pay per mile system as would be sensible.

older people haven't grown up with their eyes wedded to a smartphone, and cant be arsed to faff about with machines offering 200 ticketing options for one journey, or typing long codes to redeem their online ticket purchase

My experience, over many visits to any stations, is that ticket office staff spend a long time twiddling their thumbs. Is it not better to have them active?

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

You really think that this the aim of these closures? 

Have you not read the consultation?

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Again if you get attacked you'd prefer there was a member of staff there to intervene or call the police, again its what Mick Lynch was saying in his interview, all makes common sense, He said its all down to these companies seeing a way to make more profit by using less staff at the cost of customer safety and experience.

Yes, That's my take on it.

It's usually what happens, no matter how they try to spin it...

• Like 1

Just now, RollingJ said:

My experience, over many visits to any stations, is that ticket office staff spend a long time twiddling their thumbs. Is it not better to have them active?

how is milling about a concourse doing nothing any different from sitting down at a window doing nothing from a customer perspective.

it is far more efficient to sit at a computer serving, than faffing about with a machine, just like in a supermarket, staff serving at a till is faster than the same staff serving on a self service checkout.