Do You Truly Feel Safe Around Sheffield?

I am interested in how safe people TRULY feel around the city. For example, many people protest that Sheffield City Centre is amazing but would they feel safe walking around there alone?

People on this forum said that they did not deem Handsworth to be rough but the local Facebook groups all complain about the new residents and their activities, including smoking cannabis!

When I was on holiday in Cornwall, I saw women, men, disabled people all wondering around the winding streets at all hours of the day. They did this alone and seemed confident and carefree. This to me, is the difference between an area being not rough and rough.

What are your thoughts? How do you define if an area is rough? 

11 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am interested in how safe people TRULY feel around the city. For example, many people protest that Sheffield City Centre is amazing but would they feel safe walking around there alone?

People on this forum said that they did not deem Handsworth to be rough but the local Facebook groups all complain about the new residents and their activities, including smoking cannabis!

When I was on holiday in Cornwall, I saw women, men, disabled people all wondering around the winding streets at all hours of the day. They did this alone and seemed confident and carefree. This to me, is the difference between an area being not rough and rough.

What are your thoughts? How do you define if an area is rough? 

Spice heads, aggressive beggers, the stink of pee the stink of weed, the risk of mugging, too many  migrants, hardly any whites are all reasons I've heard for not setting foot in the place.

Edited by The_DADDY
  • Like 1

I've lived in Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield.

I feel much safer in Sheffield compared to those other 2 cities, and I regularly walk in Sheffield both alone or with others. Never encountered any problems with my safety.

• Like 3

I feel safe around Sheffield but I'm over 6ft and 100 kilos so people tend not to give me any trouble 

However, the most dangerous place in Sheffield is probably Carver Street on a Saturday night 

It's full of plastic gangsters and plastic women all drunk and looking for a fight

Also, don't go down The Wicker after dark 

These nutters just didn’t exist back in my younger days, of course there were exceptions but to use an old Sheffield quote ‘A smack in the mouth often offends’. Both the police along with ordinary working men would have sorted things out, and yes I appreciate that there were far less ‘weapons’ back in those days, so why aren’t todays’s police armed to combat this ?

Doing nothing is not an option, governments of both flavours have failed to make any impact on this ‘disease’.

18 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Irene Swaine - are you related to appleorange - a troll who lasted less than 16 hours on this forum a few days ago ? Your initial post, although not as rambling, sounds very similar to the load of rubbish 'they' posted.

what was it about their post that troubled you so much, it gave you another chance to brag about your mod experience

Oh, come on @crookesey. The reason main reason 'the ordinary working man' - if he has any sense - doesn't get involved these days because the chances are he would get arrested for flooring the initial aggressor, who would probably be given tea and biscuits (and a free solicitor).

1 minute ago, fools said:

what was it about their post that troubled you so much, it gave you another chance to brag about your mod experience

Sometimes, you post sense - others, you obviously haven't taken your medication.