Brown Soap,

42 minutes ago, Padders said:

I never expected a lecture on the pros and cons of buying bananas Hackey.

Hmmm... :huh:

I think I may not have explained my concerns satisfactorily enough.

It's not just bananas!

To expand on my supermarket "rounding up" suggestion...
... they could continue to price all items in pennies as now, but have a "totting up" system when you get to the checkout!

Your TOTAL bill would then be rounded up to the nearest 5p.

So whether you only went shopping for a single banana, or it was your weekly shop...
... you would only ever be charged a MAXIMUM additional 4p "totting up" tax on your supermarket bill!

And it could even work out cheaper to buy your banana as part of your weekly shop...
... unless of course, you bought 5 of them at the 18p shelf price - in which case it would make no difference! :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

I think I may not have explained my concerns satisfactorily enough.

It's not just bananas!

To expand on my supermarket "rounding up" suggestion...
... they could continue to price all items in pennies as now, but have a "totting up" system when you get to the checkout!

Your TOTAL bill would then be rounded up to the nearest 5p.

So whether you only went shopping for a single banana, or it was your weekly shop...
... you would only ever be charged a MAXIMUM additional 4p "totting up" tax on your supermarket bill!

And it could even work out cheaper to buy your banana as part of your weekly shop...
... unless of course, you bought 5 of them at the 18p shelf price - in which case it would make no difference! :thumbsup:

Exactly!

If you go out to the pub, every drink is rounded up to 5p.

Every drink in "Padders Bar" is priced like that.

No brown soap in my bar.

2 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Isn't there some kind of subconscious psychological thing where it come across as more acceptable to people to pay £1.99 or £4.99 for something rather than £2 or £5?

Yes but they still feel good if goes on their card.

2 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Isn't there some kind of subconscious psychological thing where it come across as more acceptable to people to pay £1.99 or £4.99 for something rather than £2 or £5?

Yep...numpties!

They look before the decimal point and think it's a bargain. Silly people. Nearly as bad as those that actually believe that Argos has a sale every day.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, zach said:

Yep...numpties!

They look before the decimal point and think it's a bargain. Silly people. Nearly as bad as those that actually believe that Argos has a sale every day.

If it wasn’t for ‘numpties’ nobody  would sell practically anything to anybody. 😉

well i save my 1ps and 2ps and 5ps upto 50ps in a jar it adds up over a year and pays for my xmas booze and turkey so its not that bad, but funny you mention money as i collect victorian shilling pieces all solid silver that type of coin in those days,i collect soverign cases as well but cannot afford to fill them,so thats my 2pennys worth padders

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Not as such, as an example the Czech Republic uses the koruna and the lowest multiple coin is the 1 koruna but shops still display prices in two decimal point increments. Debit/credit card payments the exact amount is taken, cash payment they use the overall total and then round up. 

So a banana for 0.6 koruna and an apple for 0.3 koruna would cost you 1 koruna in total, and not 2.

@Padders its a sensible suggestion to be honest.

This is how it works in Canada too. Retail systems round up to the nearest 5p for cash sales.

19 hours ago, Padders said:

I started a thread a few years ago about getting rid of this awful stuff lining our pockets, due to the rising cost of living I thought I'd mention it again.

I am, of course referring to 1ps and 2ps.

They're absolutely worthless, and annoying.

I've become rather adept at finding discarded ones, especially in amusements arcades and around school playgrounds, I could easily find enough to pay for the price of a pint.

Not anymore!

I need to be searching for 5ps and 10ps to make it worthwhile.

Isn't it time to get rid of the dam things.

Charity boxes would also benefit, as people would pop in their 5/10ps instead of 1/2ps.

We got rid of farthings and halfpennys a long time ago, so is now the time to get rid of this shrapnel?

If you got rid of the " Brown Soap" the first thing that will happen is everything at ninety nine pence ands similar would be rounded up , so everything costs more.