Brown Soap,

1 hour ago, vmam said:

If you got rid of the " Brown Soap" the first thing that will happen is everything at ninety nine pence ands similar would be rounded up , so everything costs more.

Its already been explained it probably wouldnt, see Canada and the Czech Republic. Card transactions would still cost (as an example) £4.99, its only cash where it would be rounded up to the nearest multiple of 5p (or whetever the smallest coin in circulation is)

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, vmam said:

If you got rid of the " Brown Soap" the first thing that will happen is everything at ninety nine pence ands similar would be rounded up , so everything costs more.

Wouldn't make any difference Mr.V.

What I'm trying to say is,

If you buy an article for £4-99 and tender a £5 note, do you wait for 1p change, cus I don't.

I've not yet got my head around the banana syndrome, I'll leave that for another day?

I can't remember the last time that I actually used any 'brown soap' to buy anything with. It usually goes in the grandchildren's  money box.

Edited by Meltman

16 minutes ago, Meltman said:

I can't remember the last time that I actually used any 'brown soap' to buy anything with. It usually goes in the grandchildren's  money box.

Getting rid of "brown soap" would greatly enhance your grandkids piggy bank...

Instead of putting 1 and 2ps in. you'd be putting 5 and 10ps in.

Along with getting rid 1 pence and 2 pence pieces they should get rid of silly little 5 pence pieces and also get rid of pound coins and bring back pound notes,  even though you might not be rich,   a wad of pound notes made you feel richer.  :hihi:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

With inflation that would just be silly now. The United States have a banknote which is worth around 78p at todays rates, I find that just ridiculous but they would probably riot if they withdrew it.

What do you mean silly?   The small coins mentioned are worthless and  I prefer pound notes as opposed to pound coins.

33 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

What do you mean silly?   The small coins mentioned are worthless and  I prefer pound notes as opposed to pound coins.

Having paper notes worth so little is silly imo. Paper should be reserved for significant amounts. 

Remember a pound now isn't worth as much as a pound in the early eighties or whenever the notes were withdrawn. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

11 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Having paper notes worth so little is silly imo. Paper should be reserved for significant amounts. 

Remember a pound now isn't worth ad much as a pound in the early eighties or whenever the notes were withdrawn. 

I see what you mean, I personally just don't like pound coins and the other silly little coins.