Bus Routes In Sheffield

39 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Central Bus Station, maybe? Not that I would ever call it that, maybe its a generational thing.

You are correct - I knew it as such for longer than it has had its current name.

21 minutes ago, MJ01 said:

Cole Brothers Shop?

Nope. 😀

42 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Central Bus Station, maybe? Not that I would ever call it that, maybe its a generational thing.

Back in the day when the drivers ticket machine was mechanical, printing out a big white paper ticket, at the end of each journey the driver logged the dials from the machine on his way bill, noting pence, pounds and number of tickets issued.

If the terminal point was Pond Street bus station, the abbreviation CBS (Central Bus Station) was used.

Edited by YorkieontheTyne

2 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Back in the day when the drivers ticket machine was mechanical, printing out a big white paper ticket, at the end of each journey the driver logged the dials from the machine on his way bill, noting pence, pounds and number of tickets issued.

If the terminal point was Pond Street bus station, the abbreviation CBS (Central Bus Station) was used.

Cheers for that extra detail, @YorkieontheTyne. Back in the day, I heard the now 'Interchange' called either 'Pond Street' or 'Central' bus station, by both crews and passengers, although I always think of it as 'CBS'

8 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Cheers for that extra detail, @YorkieontheTyne. Back in the day, I heard the now 'Interchange' called either 'Pond Street' or 'Central' bus station, by both crews and passengers, although I always think of it as 'CBS'

The last time I passed through there Ghost Town would have been a more accurate description.

Once again “back in the day” there were 3 inspectors on duty just to try and keep everything running, and they had their work cut out.

1 minute ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

The last time I passed through there Ghost Town would have been a more accurate description.

Once again “back in the day” there were 3 inspectors on duty just to try and keep everything running, and they had their work cut out.

I agree. Council road 'planning' and the (so I've been told by a reliable source) SYCMA access charges make it a very unwelcoming space for operators - even National Express have decimated the number of visits.

26 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I agree. Council road 'planning' and the (so I've been told by a reliable source) SYCMA access charges make it a very unwelcoming space for operators - even National Express have decimated the number of visits.

You’re right. But although I won’t get political here the biggest cause for the loss of services was thatchers de-regulation of the bus industry back in 1986.

On 20/07/2023 at 20:22, RollingJ said:

Services 81/82/88 from Arundel Gate stop AG124 are probably the most frequent , or the 65 or 218 from the interchange, but they are not as frequent.

By the way, just to confirm my understanding, I entered 'Sheffield centre to Hunters Bar' in a search engine and the first two answers gave clear details.

Also Stagecoach svc. 6 (City-University-HBar-Millhouses) ?