By- Elections Results

38 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The turnout was around 50% which is actually higher than usual and higher than a general election.

It was 45%.  Turnout was 70+% in the last two elections.

44 minutes ago, Anna B said:

He's also a Toff (Public school, Oxbridge)...which might keep the die-hard Tory voters quiet

I don't think he's a toff.  One report said he went to a public school (likely a prep school) and another that he went to a comprehensive for sixth form.  His parents were apparently teachers, his step dad owned a restaurant, and he's made reference to having to live off a student loan.  I'm sure the details will emerge soon enough.

What he does seem to be is another censorious, illiberal deplatformer who, while at Oxford, had a bit of a strop about Germaine Greer, labelling her 'an abhorrent transphobe' after she was apparently invited to speak at the Oxford Union, much in the way that a batch of current Oxford students stropped about Kathleen Stock speaking there a few months ago.  Turns out he'd gone off on one before knowing the facts, though, as apparently Greer had not been invited to speak at the Union; rather it was a private event using the venue as its setting.

Looking forward to seeing what Rosie Duffield makes of him, and I wonder whether he'll join with LGBT+ Labour and Young Labour in their calls for her to lose the whip.

23 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I don't think he's a toff.  One report said he went to a public school (likely a prep school) and another that he went to a comprehensive for sixth form.  His parents were apparently teachers, his step dad owned a restaurant, and he's made reference to having to live off a student loan.  I'm sure the details will emerge soon enough.

What he does seem to be is another censorious, illiberal deplatformer who, while at Oxford, had a bit of a strop about Germaine Greer, labelling her 'an abhorrent transphobe' after she was apparently invited to speak at the Oxford Union, much in the way that a batch of current Oxford students stropped about Kathleen Stock speaking there a few months ago.  Turns out he'd gone off on one before knowing the facts, though, as apparently Greer had not been invited to speak at the Union; rather it was a private event using the venue as its setting.

Looking forward to seeing what Rosie Duffield makes of him, and I wonder whether he'll join with LGBT+ Labour and Young Labour in their calls for her to lose the whip.

Great.

Probably another wet wipe  bored gonk who will have difficulty in defining what a woman is.

Happy days.

🙄

Edited by Al Bundy

12 hours ago, Axe said:

General Elections are not won by tactical voting.

General elections are lost by tactical voting 

The Tories got that in 97 and as the report yesterday said it was just about " perfect tactical voting" on  Thursday in effect

14 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Great.

Probably another wet wipe  bored gonk who will have difficulty in defining what a woman is.

Happy days.

🙄

I'm sure we'll soon find out.  Though he did work for Wes Streeting for a while, who has been quite sensible on the subject while managing to upset both The Guardian's Owen Jones and Zoe Williams, which is always a good thing:

When we put in the Equality Act when we were last in Government, we recognised the distinction between gender identity and making sure trans people are treated with dignity and respect, and protecting the sex-based rights of women, and making sure that we protect women's-only spaces. ...

"It is an absurdity that a man who raped a woman was able to claim he was a woman in order to get a space in a woman's prison. We can't allow that sort of dangerous nonsense to continue."

"Labour is taking a much more hard-headed look at how we can get the right balance in terms of the law so we treat everyone with dignity and respect, and also respect women's spaces too

And:

Men have penises, women have vaginas, here ends my biology lesson ... This is the end of my leftie street cred, if I had any in the first place.

Let's wait and see how much of that Mather agrees with.

56 minutes ago, butlers said:

General elections are lost by tactical voting 

The Tories got that in 97 and as the report yesterday said it was just about " perfect tactical voting" on  Thursday in effect

The Tories did not lose the 1997 general election due to tactical voting.  The Tories lost the 1997 general election because the Labour Party won the general election by a big margin.  The main reason the Labour Party won was because of Tony Blair's leadership.  I do not see Keir Starmer having the same support that Tony Blair had in 1997 when the next general election happens.  

I agree tactical voting could prevent the Tory party winning the next general election which would not be good for our country.  I want our country to be governed by a party that the electorate supports and not by a party who gets power because the electorate did not want another party to be in government.  Any decent citizen who respects democracy votes for the party they would best like to govern our country.

44 minutes ago, Axe said:

I want our country to be governed by a party that the electorate supports and not by a party who gets power because the electorate did not want another party to be in government. 

Any decent citizen who respects democracy votes for the party they would best like to govern our country.

That' s exactly  why the Tories will lose the next election.

Sunak only has a year to try to fulfil his 5 pledges and that's not going to happen.

He has a year to come up with something new that the public will like because what he's doing now is not working.

Doing something new,  such as building lots of new houses,  reorganising the NHS,  setting up a workable Care System,   would all cost lots of money and he's in a   "No money left" situation.

A lot of the Tory heavyweights are already calling for the Liz Truss solution - Tax Cuts.       Where does he get the money from to do that ?       And let everything get even worse ?

Definitely Tories out.        The Lib Dem vote will increase so it will most likely be,  a Labour - Lib Dem coalition,   or Labour with  a very small working majority.

Edited by Organgrinder

11 hours ago, Hecate said:

I don't think he's a toff.

Keir has to put up with all this fake negative news, as does his namesake.

1 hour ago, butlers said:

Camerons Government was the least representative of all of time

Not if you add the Liberal Democrat votes to the Tory votes.

13 hours ago, Hecate said:

I bow to your greater knowledge. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how Mr Mathers  turns out.

IMO the high turnouts at the last 2 elections (I didn't realise it was that high) was the Jeremy Corbyn affect. Love him or loathe him he certainly got people out to vote. The election before that had a very low turnout, I remember people saying there was no point in voting, all the parties were the same, and I think we're going back to that...

Re: the Oxford Union deplatforming Germaine Greer, I thought it was a disgrace, same with JK Rowling. These students are supposed to be our most articulate and intelligent people who can debate with a good reasoned argument, not behave like a bunch of spoiled brats. (Having said that I have learned the difference between sex and gender)

I just hope Mr Mather lives up to his early promise, but I'm a lot more cynical these days

Edited by Anna B