By- Elections Results

I didn’t expect the Tories to hold on to Uxbridge, I thought they would lose it by a large majority. Government has still got over a year before calling an election.  If a weeks a long time in politics a year must be an eternity.  It will be interesting to see if Sunak can turn things around for the Tories before the next general election.  Although I’m not holding out much hope. 

I’m pleased Starmer didn’t win the 3 by-elections.  I can’t make my mind up if Selby was a protest vote. 

15 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I didn’t expect the Tories to hold on to Uxbridge, I thought they would lose it by a large majority. Government has still got over a year before calling an election.  If a weeks a long time in politics a year must be an eternity.  It will be interesting to see if Sunak can turn things around for the Tories before the next general election.  Although I’m not holding out much hope. 

I’m pleased Starmer didn’t win the 3 by-elections.  I can’t make my mind up if Selby was a protest vote. 

In-between elections always seem to be protest votes and I don't blame the voters,  Starmer is receiving a lot of criticism which may leave Labour voters with the impression of 'don't mind him' he may not last long so vote Labour.

26 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

We didn't particularly want a good result for the Labour party but you must face it  -  their majority was a 27%swing in the right direction.

The Lib Dems were even better

Conservatives held on by the skin of their teeth with a 400 majority.         So a swing in the wrong direction.       They would have lost if had not been for opposition to the ULEZ Zone.

How's silly Sunak getting along with his 5 pledges that he sincerely wishes he'd never made ?

democracy ( only with a small d )   is now slowly on it's way back.

Big swings always happen in by elections and are never repeated in general elections.  Keir Starmer should  resign after the Labour Party finished 5th in the Somerset seat.  Beaten by  both the Green Party and the Reform Party is embarrassing and does not look good for a party with ambitions to win the next general election.

Edited by Axe

2 minutes ago, Axe said:

Big swings always happen in by elections and are never repeated in general elections.  Keir Starmer should  resign after the Labour Party finished 5th in the Somerset seat.  Beaten by  both the Green Party and the Reform Party is embarrassing and does not look good for a party with ambitions to win the next general election.

Not read any great ideas from him and I don't think he's made much impact or he's playing his cards firmly to his chest,  biding his time most likely.

1 minute ago, Axe said:

Not to some of their safest seats they don't.

Nothing I would love better than to see Starmer resign but he won't so,  it's up to silly Sunakr to give him a thrashing then.

Do you think that looks very likely to happen ?

Sunak has not yet redeemed a single one of his 5 pledges.

Everything's going fine from my point of view.

11 minutes ago, Axe said:

Except for the possibility that in Somerset people voted tactically - they looked at who is best placed to get the Tories out, and Labour voters switched to Lib Dem. Similarly in Selby, I don't think the Liberal vote held up, but those that were inclined to vote Liberal switched to Labour. 

Labour do need to listen to the voters regarding the expansion of Ulez in the outer London seats though. But even then, Labour didn't take Uxbridge and South Ruislip in the 1997 Labour landslide.

28 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Do you think the LibDem win could also have been a protest vote then? Or does that only apply to Labour's substantial victory?

The word is that the Conservative's narrow win in Uxbridge was a protest against Sadiq Khan and London's Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).

3 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

Do you think the LibDem win could also have been a protest vote then? Or does that only apply to Labour's substantial victory?

The word is that the Conservative's narrow win in Uxbridge was a protest against Sadiq Khan and London's Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).

No I don’t think the Libdems was a protest vote. I think they will do well at the next election. Some are predicting a coalition government with the Lib Dems holding all the cards, but it is just guess work at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

more slime for them to drop the country into then :(

They have got to win it first.