Clapping On A Plane.

I've flown countless times, and on some occasions the passengers have clapped on landing.

Why?

I don't clap the bus driver or train driver when I arrive at my destination.

Now if the plane skidded on landing and the pilot managed to control the skid and save my life, I might just manage to give him a clap.

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon, and have you ever clapped the pilot?

Definitely not cool!  :)

I remember clapping after landing on my first plane ride!

A throw back to the days when us Heeley urchins got our first glimpse of the sea, from our charrer, on our annual day trip to Cleethorpes!

• Like 1

I once flew air Lingus to Ireland , the plane had propellers , we got to the airport in Cork and he had three attempts at landing before we eventually managed to. I not only clapped but cheered like a nutter . The priest sat opposite me said a prayer . Ran through customs and straight to bog as needed attention 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Padders said:

I've flown countless times, and on some occasions the passengers have clapped on landing.

Why?

I don't clap the bus driver or train driver when I arrive at my destination.

Now if the plane skidded on landing and the pilot managed to control the skid and save my life, I might just manage to give him a clap.

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon, and have you ever clapped the pilot?

Our worst landing occurred some years ago when our Jet2 plane was coming into land in a storm at Leeds/Bradford airport.

The plane was rocking (I think the technical term is yawling) like a ship does at sea. I was sat behind the starboard wing and watched as it tipped to within a foot of the tarmac on several occasions. I braced myself as I fully expected it to hit the ground and spin sideways off the runway. Fortunately it didn't.

When we came to a standstill my wife and I along with all the other commoners (according to HHR!) gave the pilot a thoroughly deserved round of applause.

echo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Bulgarians do it all the time.

Flew back from Prague a few years ago, Jet2, plane landed at LBA, the moment it landed (still on the runway here) about 50 Czechs got up and started getting their bags 😂

• Like 1

worst airline for this is must be Ryan Air, bloody fanfare as they land over the tanoy encourages the idiots to clap? what do you expect other than a landing.............hopefully thats it.

i once sat next to a lady who after we landed said ooh wasnt that a good landing! i said listen love any landing is a good one :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Flew back from Prague a few years ago, Jet2, plane landed at LBA, the moment it landed (still on the runway here) about 50 Czechs got up and started getting their bags 😂

Aye, Bulgarians are always up before the plane stops. Goodness knows what that achieves.

1 minute ago, Al Bundy said:

Aye, Bulgarians are always up before the plane stops. Goodness knows what that achieves.

i used to fly to pakistan on business, many passengers used to ignore the seatbelt signs and were up in the aisles getting bags whilst the plane was on final approach and hadnt even touched down, that was on PIA which i dont think are allowed to fly here anymore!

• Like 1