Clapping On A Plane.

17 hours ago, Padders said:

I've flown countless times, and on some occasions the passengers have clapped on landing.

Why?

I don't clap the bus driver or train driver when I arrive at my destination.

Now if the plane skidded on landing and the pilot managed to control the skid and save my life, I might just manage to give him a clap.

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon, and have you ever clapped the pilot?

I'd love to see what Organgrinder has to say on this subject as he's never been on a plane

I'm sure he'll be along soon to have something to say about it 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Padders said:

I've flown countless times, and on some occasions the passengers have clapped on landing.

Why?

Now if the plane skidded on landing and the pilot managed to control the skid and save my life, I might just manage to give him a clap.

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon, and have you ever clapped the pilot?

Yes, if it's a smooth landing in difficult conditions like in a high crosswind for instance.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 14:16, Padders said:

Why?

Not usually, but I have done so once or twice, after particularly "hairy" landings.....

It's not just that the pilot has got you down, it's also that he's taken responsibility for landing the plane in bad conditions rather than take the easy way out by diverting to somewhere very inconvenient.

I seem to remember the landing on our trip to Madeira last year was one of them. I believe it is common to divert at Funchal as the winds can be fearsome.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1