The Gratitude Poncho

Team-building exercises are straight from Satan's bottom. 

The text says:

As a facilitator, I'm always looking out for activities to energise groups in workshops or team away days. Here's one that's new to me called "gratitude poncho". It enables team members to find out what their colleagues most appreciate about them. I think this would be most effective with a mature team where most people know each other

Can you imagine getting busy adults to do this when they've got stuff piling up on their desk/bench/inbox?  Most sensible people would have a chuckle and let out their inner 14 year old when asked to write on someone's back, and add an appropriate doodle or two for good measure. 

What a waste of a day when everyone could be down the pub where the real team building goes on.  

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Team-building exercises are straight from Satan's bottom. 

The text says:

Can you imagine getting busy adults to do this when they've got stuff piling up on their desk/bench/inbox?  Most sensible people would have a chuckle and let out their inner 14 year old when asked to write on someone's back, and add an appropriate doodle or two for good measure. 

What a waste of a day when everyone could be down the pub where the real team building goes on.  

Couldn't agree more, @Hecate - we had similar, but not quite so stupid 'exercises' when we were taken over by an American company - didn't last long though because they were told in no uncertain terms where to stuff 'em.

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Couldn't agree more, @Hecate - we had similar, but not quite so stupid 'exercises' when we were taken over by an American company - didn't last long though because they were told in no uncertain terms where to stuff 'em.

I remember doing similar stuff years and years ago as a new postgrad at a mentoring course.  Learned more about the others on the course during the tea breaks.

Just now, Hecate said:

I remember doing similar stuff years and years ago as a new postgrad at a mentoring course.  Learned more about the others on the course during the tea breaks.

Exactly. From memory, I think this 10-week! course lasted about 1.1/2 sessions before our group walked out.