How Much Compensation?

"A man whose rape conviction has been overturned after a 20-year fight has said the past two decades felt like he had been "kidnapped by the state".

Andrew Malkinson was jailed in 2004 for the attack in Salford, serving 17 years in prison for a crime he always said he did not commit.

His case was referred to the Court of Appeal in January after new evidence pointed to another potential suspect.

Mr Malkinson, 57, said: "I was innocent and finally they listened.""

It made me think, at the same time that nearly 30,000 people in the UK were given contaminated blood products in the 1970s and 80s.

Some victims have received financial support but not all have been fully compensated. When should the state give compensation?

I dont believe people get compensation if an operation goes wrong, unless there is negligence.

I certainly feel sorry for the guy that was locked up for 17 years. He has lost those years, surely £10k for every year would be a minimum?

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

"A man whose rape conviction has been overturned after a 20-year fight has said the past two decades felt like he had been "kidnapped by the state".

Andrew Malkinson was jailed in 2004 for the attack in Salford, serving 17 years in prison for a crime he always said he did not commit.

His case was referred to the Court of Appeal in January after new evidence pointed to another potential suspect.

It made me think, at the same time that nearly 30,000 people in the UK were given contaminated blood products in the 1970s and 80s.

Some victims have received financial support but not all have been fully compensated. When should the state give compensation?

I dont believe people get compensation if an operation goes wrong, unless there is negligence.

I certainly feel sorry for the guy that was locked up for 17 years. He has lost those years, surely £10k for every year would be a minimum?

No amount of money can conpensate for the years he has lost.

Edited by PRESLEY

Poor bloke, awful

I've no doubt, and rightly so, compensation of some kind will be in the offering.

Just now, PRESLEY said:

No amount of money can account for the years he has lost.

Well quite, but money will help him get his life on track quicker than without.

35 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Dependent on the circumstances it's probably going to be significantly more than that.

His lawyers will be churning away all and everything they can find to show the extent and impacts on his life. What he could have achieved, What career is missed out on, what family and private life he is missed.

It's a very long time since I did this sort of work. But precedent in case law even then gave amounts even for just 24 hours unlawful detention of a couple of thousand.  

I am not sure about the Birmingham six case mentioned above, but Im certainly aware of people receiving six figure settlements for just a few hundred days unlawful detention.  

As for the inflicted blood cases, that is likely to be far more nuanced as medical negligence is often hard to establish and there are lots of variables in the patients on whether they were actually affected by the contamination, whether they had a pre-existing symptoms or illness which would have caused the same issue in any event or, as often is the case and injury claims, whether they actually received the contaminated blood at all. 

You'd be surprised how many claimants, particularly in group actions, suddenly think they were part of it. Jump on the bandwagon  and then months down the line it gets found out they weren't even affected or even part of the same hospital programme. 

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

Prison time for rape is hard. Poor guy and poor woman who was raped let’s hope the real culprit is found but could well be dead.

Police said in January that a man had been arrested and released under investigation in light of the new information, but no decision had been made on whether he will be charged.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-66310919

Speaking about what he could be owed, he said: "I feel very strongly about this - somehow, the prison service has lobbied the government so that even if you fight tooth and nail to gain compensation, you have to pay the prison service a large chunk of that for so-called board and lodging."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-66323436