How Much Compensation?

Guest ThaBoom
20 hours ago, El Cid said:

"A man whose rape conviction has been overturned after a 20-year fight has said the past two decades felt like he had been "kidnapped by the state".

Andrew Malkinson was jailed in 2004 for the attack in Salford, serving 17 years in prison for a crime he always said he did not commit.

His case was referred to the Court of Appeal in January after new evidence pointed to another potential suspect.

Mr Malkinson, 57, said: "I was innocent and finally they listened.""

I think he will get a lot more, may be even 7 figures. 

The guy was supposed to serve minimum 7 yrs, as per the sentence handed down- he continued to protest his innocence, and was forced to serve another 10yrs on top!

2 hours ago, ThaBoom said:

I think he will get a lot more, may be even 7 figures. 

The guy was supposed to serve minimum 7 yrs, as per the sentence handed down- he continued to protest his innocence, and was forced to serve another 10yrs on top!

My question was also a broader one. Should people with botched operations get compensation, as those that were given infected blood products were?

People even get compo for late trains these days.

I was just listening to an interview with him on LBC.

Firstly, how he kept his composure, I don't know.

Then, talk about rubbing salt into the wounds. If he's compensated, the government will want the money back off him for food and lodging for the 17 years! Can you believe that? It's bloody laughable. They get it wrong, lock him up wrongly for 17 years, then expect him to pay the bill for his food and bed.

EDIT: I think you can listen to it via their website (World Player?)

Edited by zach

Guest ThaBoom
1 hour ago, El Cid said:

My question was also a broader one. Should people with botched operations get compensation, as those that were given infected blood products were?

People even get compo for late trains these days.

Hell, yeah.

Think they already do- people know they can sue for ££££ and some are genuinely deserving.

I hope Andrew Malkinson receives a decent compensation payout, he deserves it. 

I remember watching a programme about Stefan Kiszko who was found guilty of murdering an 11 year old girl. After serving many years in prison where he was subjected to numerous attacks by other prisoners, he was cleared of the girls murder after DNA tests were carried out on her clothes, which proved he could not have murdered her. Stefan was released from prison by the Court of Appeal in February 1992.

He received compensation but only lived a year after his release.  It was awful how the police forced a confession from him. He didn’t have a solicitor present when he was being interviewed. 

Fourteen years after Kiszko's release, police finally arrested a man for the girls murder, he is currently in prison.

• 2 months later...

I read that Andrew Malkinson still hasn't received any compensation from the Home Office, and is living in a tent and is on benefits.

I would've thought given the what he has been through, and the high profile nature of his case, the Home Office would seek to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Dreadful

Andrew Malkinson: Wrongly jailed man 'broke' and living in tent - BBC News

11 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I read that Andrew Malkinson still hasn't received any compensation from the Home Office, and is living in a tent and is on benefits.

I would've thought given the what he has been through, and the high profile nature of his case, the Home Office would seek to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Dreadful

Andrew Malkinson: Wrongly jailed man 'broke' and living in tent - BBC News

He's living in a tent in Spain.  Brits pay good money to go to Spain and sleep in tents.   He's also been to Amsterdam recently. 

11 minutes ago, Axe said:

He's living in a tent in Spain.  Brits pay good money to go to Spain and sleep in tents.   He's also been to Amsterdam recently. 

None of which justifies the tardiness of the Home Office.

And I don't blame him for wanting to get of the UK after what he's been through.

Edited by Mister M

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

None of which justifies the tardiness of the Home Office.

And I don't blame him for wanting to get of the UK after what he's been through.

He is going to be well compensated. Stop being a Drama Queen on his behalf.