In Moderation.

I only joined the Forum around Covid time, and it kept me from going stir crazy!  Often there are threads that get to be slanging matches, but I stick with it for the genuine information about things happening locally, the real-life stories of times gone past, the connections from those in need of a chat, and the banter that still often lifts my spirits.  I don't use Facer, Twitbook, Snapface and the others, just prefer SF to MSN for a different perspective.  Long live SF!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I read the articles on here several times daily but, as all the relevant topics descend into irrelevant arguments I don't see the point in contributing .

It's like being back at school in most cases and, it always gets personal.

Regards,

Duffems

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 18:00, fools said:

this is like walking up to some strangers in a pub, and moaning about the quality and entertainment value of their conversation.

if you want it to improve, contribute.

Well where have you gone?

35 minutes ago, DUFFEMS said:

It's like being back at school in most cases and, it always gets personal.

Unfortunately it's like that on most forums.......

One can ask an innocuous question and before long some people are getting insulting and/or personal. I asked a question on Tripadvisor just the other week : has anyone had had their checked in suitcase charged extra for being too large? 

How, one would have thought, could that ever get personal and insulting ? ! ? 

But it did. Not all posters, but some, stuff like "why do you think you should be able to take a larger suitcase then everyone else". But I never asked that, I just asked if anyone had been charged for an over sized checked in suitcase / how picky are airlines with cases just a bit over the dimensions* !

A work colleague says he finds the same on computer threads which he sometimes reads, someone asks a perfectly reasonable question and before long some people are patronising or even openly insulting them !

Unfortunately some people use the anonymity of their keyboard to reveal their true selves.......

* just for the record nobody ever seemed to have been charged extra for having a case (not a tea chest you understand, just a "normal", but large, suit case) slightly  over the "maximum dimensions", when checked in. Carry on is different.

Edited by Chekhov

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

The usual suspects have been a bit quiet over the last few weeks so I suspect they've had their wrists slapped

Or they've been banned because I've seen a lot of new profiles that have been trolling in their own characteristic way 

I've also noticed that.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 16:03, crookesey said:

You should have seen it in the ‘old days’, reasonable posters were banned for life for having the temerity to question one of the favoured few, take care of what you wish for.

I have an email log-in that is banned for mistakenly typing foreign letters, so not sure how all that spam is getting posted. I would assume the banning of foreign words is automatic.

Over moderation is a tendancy of many groups online, not an easy task, to please everyone.