Are Gay Pride Marches Past Their Sell By Date?

20 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

What kind of racial slur? 

I'd be interested to see any instances of someone being prosecuted for calling a white person a racial slur.

That doesn’t mean that because there are less   (or no) prosecutions -  that the right to prosecute has been removed - it probably demonstrates partly that it is far less common - which again tells its own story in a way. 

Just now, Mister M said:

I suppose if you're from an ethnic minority, or perceived to be then you have the 'privilege' to report any crime which is aggravated by ant racial motivation as a hate crime.

You probably have a point with that. 

It's not something I've ever given much thought to.  I was brought up as White British. No mentions of my mixed heritage. In fact I wasn't even told until I was a lad and then it was just forgotten. 

I wanted to know why I had darker skin than my friend's and I was told. The racial slur stuff stopped as I aged and went more pale. The Irish traveller slurs were through my junior school and early senior school days. People eventually forgot and I never reminded them. 

Life was easier that way. Plus I became fat so they picked on me for that instead 🤣

5 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

That doesn’t mean that because there are less   (or no) prosecutions -  that the right to prosecute has been removed - it probably demonstrates partly that it is far less common - which again tells its own story in a way. 

My bold

Or simply ignored?

16 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Unfortunately that's exactly what it's a matter of.

We know that people in certain minorities have a higher propensity to be victims of assaults, harrassment and other crimes. You make it sound as if people in minorities are 'lucky', or somehow 'privileged'.

If you're the victim of a hate crime, you'd be just as entitled to have that taken into consideration by the police and courts. If you're called 'faggot' or 'queer' in the street then you'd have as much right to report that as a hate crime. 

Similarly if you became disabled due to an accident, and you were targeted as a 'spacker' or 'spaz', that too would be a hate crime.

You're not missing out on anything.

Edited by Mister M

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

We know that people in certain minorities have a higher propensity to be victims of assaults, harrassment and other crimes. You make it sound as if people in minorities are 'lucky', or somehow 'privileged'.

If you're the victim of a hate crime, you'd be just as entitled to have that taken into consideration by the police and courts. If you're called 'faggot' or 'queer' in the street then you'd have as much right to report that as a hate crime. 

Similarly if you became disabled due to an accident, and you were targeted as a 'spacker' or 'spaz', that too would be a hate crime.

God , I hate that F word .

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Snipped 

A pretty reasonable post until your last bit 🙄

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

We know that people in certain minorities have a higher propensity to be victims of assaults, harrassment and other crimes.

Snipped 

More straight white men are assaulted every year than any other group.

Should that be ignored because there is more of them? 

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

So what are you and the general public missing out upon?

Equality within the justice system? 

7 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

A pretty reasonable post until your last bit 🙄

More straight white men are assaulted every year than any other group.

Should that be ignored because there is more of them

My bold.

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Who said it should/ would be ignored ?

I've emboldened the question mark as it seems you missed it.

• Like 1