Are Gay Pride Marches Past Their Sell By Date?

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Your implication that a gay son having a child is no problem, and could just as easily have a child as a straight son is, I feel, somewhat economical with the actualité.....

In the first place how exactly can two men have a child ? They cannot (however much this mad woke world of ours might regret that biological fact).

A surrogate is required which I would not have thought would be that easy to find.

Second, whose sperm would be used, and therefore who would actually be the father ? In some ways I don't want to emphasise this too much because adoptive parents are every bit parents as far as I am concerned, but they are not, as you put it, biologically related.

Third, what is the child going to think ? Surely he will want to know who his mum is and why he has not got one.

You're over thinking it. I was replying to your argument that you don't want your son to be gay because you want grandkids by pointing out that being gay wouldn't preclude him from producing them. Surely anyone who really wanted grandkids would welcome them regardless of the sexuality of their parents.

By repeating your 'not gay because want grandkids' argument, despite knowing it is not a requirement, you risk prompting people to wonder if grandkids really are the main issue for you.

4 hours ago, Mister M said:

No - someone doesn't have to come out as gay. Though speaking personally I'm much happier out of the closet than inside it. 

It shouldn't matter, but as someone who has gone through the process of coming out multiple times, it does. I can't exactly say why....

I know someone who was much happier when he came out and was accepted along with his partner by all his friends.  One night we were out in a group with someone who only knew a few of the group. This person happened to say a certain place attracted a lot of gay people. Everyone went quiet until the gay couple burst out laughing. True integration and acceptance was proved.

6 hours ago, Mister M said:

Narrowing it down, I'd like a situation where having to come out as gay (which you continually have to do, it's not just a one off) can feel as natural as saying what your favourite film is.

Just out of interest, why do you feel you have to "continually" have to come out as gay ?

I mean to people other than your family and close friends. 

I cannot remember the last time I had to reveal to anyone I was straight ! ? !

1 hour ago, altus said:

You're over thinking it. I was replying to your argument that you don't want your son to be gay because you want grandkids by pointing out that being gay wouldn't preclude him from producing them. Surely anyone who really wanted grandkids would welcome them regardless of the sexuality of their parents.

By repeating your 'not gay because want grandkids' argument, despite knowing it is not a requirement, you risk prompting people to wonder if grandkids really are the main issue for you.

If you don't want me to use the term "normal", I'll use the term "conventional", as do most parents  would warrant.

They want their son to settle down in a stable long term (and reasonably happy) relationship and, if they are lucky enough to have kids, give them some grandkids. Personally I would want them to get married.  I do not se why, apparently, I have to feel guilty for wanting that, and I'll tell you something else, I do not feel at all guilty for doing so.

As I mentioned earlier I treat gay people in exactly the same way as straight people. It is far more important to me how they treat me and my family than if they are gay or not. But, as I also mentioned before I am uncomfortable seeing people of the same sex being affectionate together, thus on that premise alone the idea my son was gay would be greatly problematic for me. Again I do not see why I should have to feel guilty for feeling that, and I do not. But, to return the subject of the thread again, Pride marches and flags are definitely not going to change the way I feel

7 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Obviously, for people at the 100% gay extreme you are right. But for those more in the middle you are wrong. I suspect there are many people coming out as gay now who, in times past when societal mores pushed them that way, would have got married and had kids and been reasonably happy about it, as most of us are. Few people are in a perfect relationship...

it doesn’t seem very fair to have society pushing someone into something that they should just be “reasonably happy” with - why is that reasonable and who is that benefitting?

who decides on which way society should push them?

if by raising awareness and marching etc means that society doesn’t push them in a direction that only makes them “reasonably happy” - or possibly very unhappy - and instead allows them to be happy however they want to be -  that’s a good thing isn’t it?

4 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

WHO DECIDES WHAT IS OFFENSIVE SPEECH? 

This doesn’t have anything to do with the thread title.

Edited by Mkapaka

On 28/07/2023 at 22:07, Axe said:

In Retford today. A fire engine adorned with a rainbow flag drove down a narrow pedestrian area where vehicles are not allowed to drive.  No problem with a fire engine driving down a pedestrian area when there is an emergency such as putting out a fire but cannot see any justification for a fire engine doing so because a gay pride event is taking place.

Is your problem with the fire engine or with the pride cause as a whole?

There is a bar in Sheffield, known as Dempsey's and only recently, they reported a high amount of homophobic and lesbian-phobic attacks outside of their bar. The bar is un-officially known as as a homosexual and lesbian bar. I would argue that while ever these attacks are occuring, and while ever kids are being bullied because of their suspected orientation, the pride marches are needed. Legal rights are different to effective freedom. 

32 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

it doesn’t seem very fair to have society pushing someone into something that they should just be “reasonably happy” with - why is that reasonable and who is that benefitting?

who decides on which way society should push them?

if by raising awareness and marching etc means that society doesn’t push them in a direction that only makes them “reasonably happy” - or possibly very unhappy - and instead allows them to be happy however they want to be -  that’s a good thing isn’t it?

Most people are "only" reasonably happy with their lives. I would warrant that most people are "only" reasonably happy in their relationship too, certainly after the first few years....

>>who decides on which way society should push them?<<

Err, parents do.

As an example, I want my child to get married, and certainly to be monogamous. Are you saying I should not be bringing him up (you might say "pressuring") him to do that ?

57 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Just out of interest, why do you feel you have to "continually" have to come out as gay ?

I mean to people other than your family and close friends. 

I cannot remember the last time I had to reveal to anyone I was straight ! ? !

In conversation with work colleagues, or if I'm out and chat to mutual friends, people sometimes ask what my girlfriend does for a living. I suppose I could say "I'm single at the moment", but I feel dishonest if I do that. 

It's not really a huge problem as no-one I've met has told me that I'm disgusting or anything like that....