Are Gay Pride Marches Past Their Sell By Date?

Just now, Chekhov said:

Most people are "only" reasonably happy with their lives. I would warrant that most people are "only" reasonably happy in their relationship too, certainly after the first few years....

>>who decides on which way society should push them?<<

Err, parents do.

As an example, I want my child to get married, and certainly to be monogamous. Are you saying I should not be bringing him up (you might say "pressuring") him to do that ?

Why settle for only "reasonably" happy? Why not go for full happiness? My motto is, life is like a sponge, you have to squeeze it hard to get as much joy out of it as possible. 

It will be up to your son whether he marries or not, when the time comes. It's certainly wrong to be pressuring him in to anything. Let him enjoy being a child.

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

In conversation with work colleagues, or if I'm out and chat to mutual friends, people sometimes ask what my girlfriend does for a living. I suppose I could say "I'm single at the moment", but I feel dishonest if I do that. 

It's not really a huge problem as no-one I've met has told me that I'm disgusting or anything like that....

You are who you are and you don't need anyone else's acceptance.

32 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Is your problem with the fire engine or with the pride cause as a whole?

There is a bar in Sheffield, known as Dempsey's and only recently, they reported a high amount of homophobic and lesbian-phobic attacks outside of their bar. The bar is un-officially known as as a homosexual and lesbian bar. I would argue that while ever these attacks are occuring, and while ever kids are being bullied because of their suspected orientation, the pride marches are needed. Legal rights are different to effective freedom. 

Few people would want that to continue, but I dispute that Pride marches and flags (and a biased media always banging on about homosexuality like it's one of the most important things in the world) will help that situation. If anything they'll just make it worse.

Just now, Chekhov said:

Few people would want that to continue, but I dispute that Pride marches and flags (and a biased media always banging on about homosexuality like it's one of the most important things in the world) will help that situation. If anything they'll just make it worse.

Is the media biased? On ITV, there is Good Morning Britain, presented by 100% heterosexual anchors, This Morning is presented by 100% heterosexual anchors, Loose Women, only one lesbian panellist, ITV News, all heterosexual Newscasters. The BBC broadcasts a weekly Christian programme, Songs Of Praise - that celebrates a religion that referrs to homosexuality as a sin.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Why settle for only "reasonably" happy? Why not go for full happiness? My motto is, life is like a sponge, you have to squeeze it hard to get as much joy out of it as possible. 

I suspect most breakdown relationships are caused by people being dissatisfied with their, relationships and wondering if they can "do better".

But the reality is few relationships are perfect.

On the other hand, my advice is if one is in any relationship and can honestly say you think you'd be happier single then it might be time to end it (excluding ones where kids are involved, unless it's horrendous you have a duty to your children).  But ending a relationship because you wonder of you might find someone else who makes you happier is less certain.....

Just now, Chekhov said:

I suspect most breakdown relationships are caused by people being dissatisfied with their, relationships and wondering if they can "do better".

But the reality is few relationships are perfect.

On the other hand, my advice is if one is in any relationship and can honestly say you think you'd be happier single then it might be time to end it (excluding ones where kids are involved, unless it's horrendous you have a duty to your children).  But ending a relationship because you wonder of you might find someone else who makes you happier is less certain.....

My parents were certainly both happier after seperation and my upbringing had less tension and arguments.

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I don't know about that. 

Stonewall and other similar pressure groups have been phenomenally successful in their campaigning, and I pay tribute to them for that.

Perhaps that was the way society was going at the end of the 1960s, and they were pushing at an opening door.

I suppose for a young gay person, their sexuality is hugely important to them.

I fail to see how campaigning would make things worse. In fact ever since there has been campaigns, things have improved, for LGB people that is.