Sheffield Wednesday V Southampton Fri Eve

bassett one

Just now, PapaLazarou said:

Agreed…in part.

If Southampton had found their scoring boots (which they had clearly misplaced last season), then it would have been a whitewash.

But that’s one of the reasons they are where they are now.

They’ll come good because they have the squad and the depth, and a very good squad.

So I really dont see how Saints could get worse?

I guess we’ll  just have to agree to disagree on that one. Surely Saints will finish above Wednesday.

I’m sure that Saints will finish above Wednesday. 

But I’m also sure that Wednesday will sign better players and that Saints will lose players.

8 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I’m sure that Saints will finish above Wednesday. 

But I’m also sure that Wednesday will sign better players and that Saints will lose players.

Fair enough.

I just don’t see Southampton getting “worse”

In some way, a loss like that in front of the chairman maybe a positive thing as we were absolutely schooled last night.  The players gave their all, no doubt but we are too slow and predictable and in this league it's a receipe for relegation.

Defensively I think we are ok, but creating chances with our midfield is the problem. We have strikers who will only score if given chances as they are not really capable of creating chances on their own.  Midfield is where our issue will be.

Paterson was excellent last night by the way.

It could have been a lot worse….they looked half a yard fitter in the first half & it was embarrassing at times….but a different story second half …you could argue a draw would have been a fair result….& looking at their manager at the end you’d think they’d won the European Cup ….

But,once everyone is fit & XM knows his best 11,I think we’ll win more than we lose …& I’ll take 3 points off the top with 45 games to play ..! 

It was inevitable, a team from league 1 against a team from the premiership.

It you put a Nissan Micra up against a much more powerful car such as a Golf, then you cannot expect the Micra to win in a race like this.

And yes, it was inevitable that a former Sheffield United player would get the winner to rub the owls noses in it,

To all in all, the result and the match winner was highly predictable

• Like 1

Sat back way to deep 1st half, two banks of four behind the ball inviting Saints forward, when we eventually got the ball off them there was no outlet and the ball just kept coming back, we were under the cosh but it took a streaky deflection to beat Dawson, other than that, saints lacked any quality inside the box and were very wastefull.

2nd half saw us get a grip of the game and we got wide players involved and enjoyed a short period of dominance, Gregory capitalising from a clever knockback, but we paid the price for not tracking back and saints got the deserved win. 

Big improvements needed from all concerned, were going to have to be much better in possession if we want to stay in this division.

A huge gripe at the new ticketing system as well, qued for 25 mins to eventually get in via a helpful steward, got a bit tasty with some tempers  flaring and big ques, I know many will have missed the kick off.

1 hour ago, rogets said:

And yes, it was inevitable that a former Sheffield United player would get the winner to rub the owls noses in it,

To all in all, the result and the match winner was highly predictable

Didn't watch the game but I understand that Adams came on as a late substitute and got a ' reception ' from the Owls?

Never a wise thing to to do in my opinion, in the League cup semi final second leg at Bramall Lane Adams came on as a sub to Spurs fans chants of " Who are you, Who are you"? Spurs were leading 2 - 0 at that point.

He scored two to show them who he was, the game ended 2-2 with Spurs hanging on to go through 3-2 on aggregate.

Never a good idea to wind professional sports people up , they're competitive enough without extra incentive.

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

Didn't watch the game but I understand that Adams came on as a late substitute and got a ' reception ' from the Owls?

Never a wise thing to to do in my opinion, in the League cup semi final second leg at Bramall Lane Adams came on as a sub to Spurs fans chants of " Who are you, Who are you"? Spurs were leading 2 - 0 at that point.

He scored two to show them who he was, the game ended 2-2 with Spurs hanging on to go through 3-2 on aggregate.

Never a good idea to wind professional sports people up , they're competitive enough without extra incentive.

Jamie Vardy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, longiesta said:

Their Manager though. Klopp style fist pump in front of them after beating a team thats just come up from league one where theyve left a £50m player on the bench. 

Looks like a poundshop version of the guy that is at Leeds

Wednesday do not have a million pound player in the ranks , Southampton along with Leeds and Leicester have got 40 million quid in the bank Leicester have already banked another 40 million in players out and recruited players costing over 30 million . How can a club that has come up from the third division and been stopped from spending any money compete .