New 'Routemaps' Outline Council's Plans To Achieve Net Zero By 2030

3 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Maybe not sacked but councils like Leeds are stopping mileage claims for non hybrid cars as soon as 2025 so if she is doing council work as indicated then it would be at their cost.

All I can find on that is a 3 year old article mooting it as a possibility. 

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/politics/this-is-why-leeds-council-staff-may-have-to-pay-to-travel-for-jobs-while-at-work-1889007

Is there anything more recent? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Maybe not sacked but councils like Leeds are stopping mileage claims for non hybrid cars as soon as 2025 so if she is doing council work as indicated then it would be at their cost.

In that case, the council would have to provide a vehicle from their pool, if she was unable to do her job without one?

19 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

All I can find on that is a 3 year old article mooting it as a possibility. 

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/politics/this-is-why-leeds-council-staff-may-have-to-pay-to-travel-for-jobs-while-at-work-1889007

Is there anything more recent? 

Thats where i found it. If its incorrect i will quite happily retract it so ill go digging

1 minute ago, sheffbag said:

Thats where i found it. If its incorrect i will quite happily retract it so ill go digging

If its actually been brought in now as policy I would have expected to find other articles, maybe it was quietly dropped. 

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

In that case, the council would have to provide a vehicle from their pool, if she was unable to do her job without one?

The unions would have a field day, maybe this is why it's never been adopted as going to happen. 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

there is some half-decent stuff in that 'routemap'.

but we need them to actually get on with some of it, not endlessly avoid doing anything, instead choosing 'death-by-consultation'...

Do you think so?

To me it seemed pretty generic and just more of what we've seen before.

As usual it's all about what should be done, rather than how it should be done, and there's the rub.

Nobody has a satisfactory answer to how to do it, that doesn't cause chaos for your average man in the street, (and he is by far the majority of us.)

That's why they avoid doing anything. - Anything they do is universally unpopular and they fear losing votes. 

30 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Nobody has a satisfactory answer to how to do it, that doesn't cause chaos for your average man in the street,

doing nothing is also causing* the very same chaos...

but for some reason that's ok.

(*without any of the positive outcomes that taking action would deliver)

Edited by ads36

6 hours ago, ads36 said:

doing nothing is also causing* the very same chaos...

but for some reason that's ok.

(*without any of the positive outcomes that taking action would deliver)

I haven't said doing nothing is OK.

But neither do I think the things that are being done have the positive outcomes that you imagine. 

The switch from coal to biowood pellets at Drax power station for example has been a disaster, creating even more Co2,  shutting all the coalmines and then importing coal from abroad is mindbogglingly stupid. The clean air zone in Sheffield has virtually finished off Sheffield Town centre as a destination altogether.  

Edited by Anna B