Are Women Being Encouraged To Be Fat?

2 hours ago, cressida said:

Thanks Padders,  I've lost loved ones and never thought of celebrating their birthdays afterwards,  amazing you posted that when 'in your cups'.

Jack,  like many on here,  'when you're nice (fun) you're very very nice,  when you're bad (OTT) you're horrid.   :wave:

“In your cups “  never heard that . What’s it mean ?

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Women criticise men to other women, but not directly to men. Women also value other things about men, like their wealth or power. ...

Good to know.  Thanks for the insight.

3 hours ago, cressida said:

It seems to me fatter women are shown on TV to combat 'fattists' (people who shame women because of their size)  it's the same with the programme 'This Morning' , the models now can be any size and any age,  so isn't an issue, with men though,  I don't think that women are as critical about men's appearance compared to men's views on women.

Have you ever been to Cleethorpes Cressy?

I love it there, I always feel two stone lighter.

It's a paradise for the FB's.

1 minute ago, Padders said:

Have you ever been to Cleethorpes Cressy?

I love it there, I always feel two stone lighter.

It's a paradise for the FB's.

FB's? 

No,  I  haven't,   I had been contemplating going there as it's the nearest Yorkshire seaside place to me - coming from Trafford,

isn't it?

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

The Taliban have closed hair/beauty  parlours and trashed pianos, guitars etc; how far should the Government go in controlling peoples lives?

When it comes to women or men being healthy, the Government dont help. They should do more.

The sugar tax worked. Some countries tax food, should we tax all processed food? Tax all processed food that contains sugar etc. ban advertisements if it encourages a unhealthy diet.

Absolute twaddle!

As with all food, there is neither 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' food - it's all about how much of each you eat and whether you're active or not. If the 'sugar tax' worked, why are people still obese? Sugar isn't the problem - it's all to do with psychology and mentality.

"Sugar makes you fat" - yet, you don't see many obese athletes and sports people who down energy drinks by the gallon for energy.

It's not the Government's job to babysit people who can't put down their fork! People want the quick fix like bands around their stomach or, worse, having part of their stomach removed, instead of just doing some exercise. It's not for the Government or the NHS to sort out what people see is a physical problem when it's actually a mental issue - I know, I've been there!

When you start taxing everyone to solve a problem, the majority of healthy people have to suffer instead of targeting the ones with the issue.

12 minutes ago, Resident said:

Many women champion Lizzo, a morbidly obese singer as inspirational and a true body-positive icon  

But you go tell those women they look like her.... 

Totally agree!

And I find it fascinating when, a while ago, there was a backlash against Lara Croft (Tomb Raider video game) for having an unrealistic body image and they should show her with more timber... completely missing the point that if she was bigger, she wouldn't be able to perform all the gymnastic moves as she'd be too heavy and unfit, and that the amount of exercise the character does would mean she wouldn't be fat anyway as she'd burn it all off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

Absolute twaddle!

As with all food, there is neither 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' food - it's all about how much of each you eat and whether you're active or not. If the 'sugar tax' worked, why are people still obese? Sugar isn't the problem - it's all to do with psychology and mentality.

"Sugar makes you fat" - yet, you don't see many obese athletes and sports people who down energy drinks by the gallon for energy.

It's not the Government's job to babysit people who can't put down their fork! People want the quick fix like bands around their stomach or, worse, having part of their stomach removed, instead of just doing some exercise. It's not for the Government or the NHS to sort out what people see is a physical problem when it's actually a mental issue - I know, I've been there!

When you start taxing everyone to solve a problem, the majority of healthy people have to suffer instead of targeting the ones with the issue.

Couldn't have put it better, @leviathan13 - but try telling some people. It's always 'down to the government' to do something - badly - rather than the individual.

• Like 1