Are Women Being Encouraged To Be Fat?

1 hour ago, leviathan13 said:

And I find it fascinating when, a while ago, there was a backlash against Lara Croft (Tomb Raider video game) for having an unrealistic body image and they should show her with more timber... completely missing the point that if she was bigger, she wouldn't be able to perform all the gymnastic moves as she'd be too heavy and unfit, and that the amount of exercise the character does would mean she wouldn't be fat anyway as she'd burn it all off.

The complaints about Lara Croft were that, in the early versions, she did have an unrealistic body image. This is her body and head from the original game:

lc85ftv.png

You think that waist is realistic?

As for your comment that "she wouldn't be able to perform all the gymnastic moves as she'd be too heavy", I can think of something big and heavy about the original Lara Croft that would make performing gymnastic moves difficult. See if you can spot it in the above image.

Keep off the bread, keep off chips. Cerial in a morning, tin of soup for dinner, any meat and veg for tea, no supper,  and you can get bladderd every  friday and saturday night but there is a catch,  you have too walk 2 laps around Rothervalley every day,  monday to friday, it works for me . :thumbsup:

Just now, RollingJ said:

Didn't need to weigh the food - I could see what was on my plate. As to the 'calorie count' gubbins - see my comment re metabolic rate.

that gubbins is the only detail you need to know to lose or maintain your weight.

few people can judge calorie counts or weights by looking

5 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Keep off the bread, keep off chips. Cerial in a morning, tin of soup for dinner, any meat and veg for tea, no supper,  and you can get bladderd every  friday and saturday night but there is a catch,  you have too walk 2 laps around Rothervalley every day,  monday to friday, it works for me . :thumbsup:

Wasn't many fat people in Auschwitz Mr. P.

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Simplistic - no-one yet has mentioned peoples different metabolic rates. When I was younger, I could eat a full Sunday roast (or Xmas dinner), do very little, and then eat a full evening meal and still not add much weight.

Simplistic and anecdotal.

Before I started living in DR, I was way overweight. Due to a change in diet, with local fresh foods and produce,  3 regular home cooked meals a day (thanks to my dear partner) more rice and beans, and fruit, I gradually adjusted, never experienced those hunger pangs again, and my stomach shrank, to the point I can't eat a big meal anymore.

I notice it when I'm back in Toronto, cooking the traditional Sunday dinner of roast beef, mash potatoes, and three veg. I can only get down half of what I used to.

No change in my metabolic rate, unless it's the result of my dietary choices.

4 minutes ago, altus said:

The complaints about Lara Croft were that, in the early versions, she did have an unrealistic body image.

Haven't seen complaints that Lara was too chunky.  More recent criticisms came from blokes who were unhappy with the new incarnation - in the game and the post-Jolie film - because her boobage had been reduced in size and she'd been made to look more athletic.  You know, like a strong, athletic woman might look if she spent her days battling bad guys and leaping around pyramids and whatnot. (Disclaimer: suspension of disbelief is a given).