Stormzy's Scholarships (For Black Kids Only)

15 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I didn’t say that it did.

Is there a reason why you think that it should?

"you’ll find plenty of initiatives that help white, working class boys"

Why just mention white boys? It's open for everyone isn't it?

I assumed seeing as it's a thread regarding a singer who only wants to help black kids, that you were trying to make out there are initiatives for white only kids.

10 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

"you’ll find plenty of initiatives that help white, working class boys"

Why just mention white boys? It's open for everyone isn't it?

I assumed seeing as it's a thread regarding a singer who only wants to help black kids, that you were trying to make out there are initiatives for white only kids.

I was responding to the thread title. It seemed a little put out that Stormzy was paying for black students only. My point was that his scholarships are just part of a wide ranging strategy to break down some of the barriers that prevent bright, disadvantaged kids from attending elite universities. 

I think that is a good thing in general.

Checkers made a good point in his opening post. White, working class boys do underachieve and they are less likely to attend university than most. They also need, and receive help. Maybe they need more help. But that doesn’t negate the need for other groups to get help and Stormzy can spend his money as he sees fit.

For context, Cambridge University admitted 128 black undergraduates last year, a number that has increased fivefold in the last decade. There are approximately 13 000 undergraduates at Cambridge.

Edited by Prettytom
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I was responding to the thread title. It seemed a little put out that Stormzy was paying for black students only. My point was that his scholarships are just part of a wide ranging strategy to break down some of the barriers that prevent bright, disadvantaged kids from attending elite universities. 

I think that is a good thing in general.

Checkers made a good point in his opening post. White, working class boys do underachieve and they are less likely to attend university than most. They also need, and receive help. Maybe they need more help. But that doesn’t negate the need for other groups to get help and Stormzy can spend his money as he sees fit.

For context, Cambridge University admitted 128 black undergraduates last year, a number that has increased fivefold in the last decade. There are approximately 13 000 undergraduates at Cambridge.

Stormzy of course can do whatever he likes with his money, but he shouldn't be surprised if folk think it's racist.

We both know full well that if a white pop star offered to help just white kids, there would be an outage to match swfc match day ticket prices!

• Like 1

On 02/08/2023 at 22:05, HeHasRisen said:

Given its his own money he can do as he pleases without any scrutiny tbh. 

So it's not racist then ?

If a rich white guy sponsored only white students that'd be OK would it ?

8 hours ago, Delbow said:

Exactly this kind of crap

Maybe some of Stormzy's graduates might go on to become senior police officers and stamp this kind of thing out, then law abiding Black Londoners can go about their business without being continually pulled over.

Is it that simple though ?

Obviously being tasered is a bit extreme, but have a got a false memory here, or have I read before that many Black parents are all in favour of kids being searched for knives ?

I assume they think better that than a dead child.....

Because that's what I'd be thinking.

Obviously there is always situations where the Police unfortunately go overboard regardless of people's race, however, you would think the majority of folk would be pleased that they are trying to prevent the hundreds if not thousands of young boys that are going around stabbing each other.

Guest ThaBoom
On 02/08/2023 at 22:04, Chekhov said:

Stormzy announces 30 more scholarships as part of Cambridge university programme
‘For a further 30 Black students to have the opportunity to study at Cambridge University feels like an incredible landmark moment’

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/stormzy-scholarships-cambridge-b2384479.html

I think these are only for Black kids.

Two points :

1 - In actual fact it's white working class kids who have the lowest academic attainment.

2 - If that had been white bloke saying he'd offer scholarships, but only for white kids, what would have been the reaction?

As I understand it, this scholarship has been running since 2018.

Personally I don't see a problem with it,  after all, the money is not anyone else's, but Stormzy's.

However,  I would question that if its for black people/ mixed white black etc (as the criteria states) - then these young ppl have done well already to get into Cambridge. 

To get to such an prestigious university, then most are already likely to be from middle class or higher? 

I  would put money towards helping students (any race) reach their potential, and build some foundation to encourage that- to achieve university entrance.

7 minutes ago, ThaBoom said:

As I understand it, this scholarship has been running since 2018.

Personally I don't see a problem with it,  after all, the money is not anyone else's, but Stormzy's.

However,  I would question that if its for black people/ mixed white black etc (as the criteria states) - then these young ppl have done well already to get into Cambridge. 

To get to such an prestigious university, then most are already likely to be from middle class or higher? 

I  would put money towards helping students (any race) reach their potential, and build some foundation to encourage that- to achieve university entrance.

With the proviso that there is an unseen shift in economic power towards skilled tradesmen, and I suspect that, if anything, that shift will accelerate. Thus a university education is not the be all and end all any more. 

When I find myself driving through reasonably upmarket areas I am often struck by how many vans are parked outside all those expensive houses....

To put it bluntly, it'll be a long time (if ever) before a computer can change a tap.....

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1