Stormzy's Scholarships (For Black Kids Only)

There are lots of schemes that help lots of people to access Cambridge University. 

Here are some of them

I guess that some people would be happy to see elite universities continue to be the preserve of upper class white people. Fortunately, Cambridge don’t see things like that.

I’m looking forward to the day when such schemes are no longer necessary.

Edited by Prettytom

First, scholarships at Oxbridge can mean anything that is donated for the benefit of a student/scholar/researcher/etc.  Some are 'open', some are competitive, and some are selective. Some are Ancient and some are modern. Some pay for books, travel expenses, overseas travel and accommodation, hire, lab fees, time abroad, medical expenses, formal events, residential costs, care, overcoming disability, sport and competition fees, medical support, translation. etc. Some are 'legacies'  which have to be distributed each year, some are 'when it's gone it's gone' The value can be small to large. Check the following which I know exist at one College:

Academic

Sport association

Orphan

Mature

Sheffield residency

A Sheffield school

Family ancestry

Jewish 

Welsh 

Inner city residency(all Sheffield counts).

Residency on a Royal Estate

Divorced parents

Christian Methodist/C of E and Catholic

Parents' trade, profession, business links

Employer

Military

Trade Union 

Loads of prospective employers 

etc.

Any Sheffield student should seek these out as soon as they get there, and don't be embarrassed as the richest always get more- their accountants are already clued up.

17 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Black kids need it more.

White kids are sorted, they have everything they need.

Very true.

*However if a white person did the same there would be hell to pay.

Racism this.

Racism that etc.....

*Just saving time 👍

It’s the system that’s wrong, not Stormzy.

I disagree that white kids 'are sorted.'

Poor white working class boys are the lowest group of achievers, and not because they lack brains, but because they are disadvantaged by background and lack of aspirations.

Unfortunately there's no-one on Annie Bynnol's list that caters particularly for them. Some of them (and their parents) have never even heard of Oxford or Cambridge, and what it represents, much less considered applying for a place.

Sadly there's a good many of the white working class who spurn education altogether. 

Edited by Anna B

14 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I disagree that white kids 'are sorted.'

Poor white working class boys are the lowest group of achievers, and not because they lack brains, but because they are disadvantaged by background and lack of aspirations.

Unfortunately there's no-one on Annie Bynnol's list that caters particularly for them. Some of them (and their parents) have never even heard of Oxford or Cambridge, and what it represents, much less considered applying for a place.

Sadly there's a good many of the white working class who spurn education altogether. 

If you take a look at the link that I posted in the post above Annie’s, you’ll find plenty of initiatives that help white, working class boys.

There’s a lot of work for our elite Universities to do in order to to widen participation. They are cracking on with it though.  I’ve spent a lot of time working with Sheffield University to do just that.

It takes time though. We should be applauding any initiative that aims to

get under-represented groups into University. Let Stormsy do the bit that he feels strongly aboout and let others work with different groups.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

If you take a look at the link that I posted in the post above Annie’s, you’ll find plenty of initiatives that help white, working class boys.

There’s a lot of work for our elite Universities to do in order to to widen participation. They are cracking on with it though.  I’ve spent a lot of time working with Sheffield University to do just that.

It takes time though. We should be applauding any initiative that aims to

get under-represented groups into University. Let Stormsy do the bit that he feels strongly aboout and let others work with different groups.

Are these initiatives for white kids only?