Have You Made A Will?

It's really difficult because we don't know when we will die or how much we will have.

But most people that die will have adult children that are not skint.

Leave it to the grandchildren or Dogs Trust? Or put £1,000 behind the bar/cafe at a local establishment?

19 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

It's something I keep meaning to do now I am in my mid fifties.

I believe you can do it online, anyone got any advice regarding this?

There is Will Aid  where a solicitor will draw up the will for "free" but you make a donation which goes to charity rather than paying the solicitor. I am not sure but I think you can select which charity you want it to go to but I may be wrong on that. I have used them a couple of times, I have just registered to be informed when it starts again as I need to make a change to my will.

Introducing Will Aid | Will Aid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can of course do it yourself, or have a solicitor or will writer to do it. If you do it yourself, it's best to read a good guide like the Which? guide to making a will. One advantage is if you want to alter the will in future (codicil), you can do it free whereas I think a professional will charge for it.

Administering a will though a solicitor can be expensive if there is property and multiple bank accounts, insurances etc, although a visit to the branch with a death certificate (or copy), ID etc is usually all that is required.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iansheff said:

There is Will Aid  where a solicitor will draw up the will for "free" but you make a donation which goes to charity rather than paying the solicitor. I am not sure but I think you can select which charity you want it to go to but I may be wrong on that. I have used them a couple of times, I have just registered to be informed when it starts again as I need to make a change to my will.

Introducing Will Aid | Will Aid

what a helpful link  - thanks

6 hours ago, cuttsie said:

We made a will 15 years ago , left car, house , money ,  and owt else worth owt to grand kids .

Fifteen years later its all but all gone so when they open it they will have a big laugh looking for the now vanished items . 

So you have managed to sell your house, car and spend all your money. Living it up like that, I am surprised your still here.