Does This Last Fortnight Beat Deane & Fjortoft?

PapaLazarou

2 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

Absolutely spot on mr grumpy

new contracts we’re indeed offered but given neither would sign what should dem blades have done ? Maybe you  or mr sibon could offer a view ….. obviously with hindsight?

I’ve already supported United in their decision to sell but I’m shocked that you haven’t told us what the offered contracts were worth.

1 hour ago, PapaLazarou said:

As the thread title said.

Have we just pressed the biggest self-destruct button since the last biggest ever self-destruct button?

I hate football sometimes.

No I wouldn't say so. Yes you could of kept them and let them run the contract down but you'd have unhappy players for the season.

Deane and Fjortoft were just sold without warning from what I remember, much worse than the current situation.

In the end you got a fee for both, selling Berge to a relegation rival is strange though.

1 minute ago, NERVY-OWL said:

No I wouldn't say so. Yes you could of kept them and let them run the contract down but you'd have unhappy players for the season.

Deane and Fjortoft were just sold without warning from what I remember, much worse than the current situation.

In the end you got a fee for both, selling Berge to a relegation rival is strange though.

Berge says Burnley have ambition so maybe they won’t be relegation fodder.

7 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I get the unhappy player bit.

I totally get them walking next year for free.

I guess what is really bothering me is the timing, the season starting at the weekend, no quality replacements being visible….and the thing that’s really bothering me is that PH was told he could spend £20m BEFORE the Iliman & Sander money came in (so now we’re assuming a £45m+ budget)….and what have we bought?

I know there's time yet, but it all feel a bit bobbar 

Edited by PapaLazarou

20 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

I’ve already supported United in their decision to sell but I’m shocked that you haven’t told us what the offered contracts were worth.

Good for you

re contracts I’ve looked on your source the bbc website and blimey nowt there. Let’s say somewhere in the region of ….. ? 

2 hours ago, PapaLazarou said:

Fair point Jim.

I know there’s always the “out of contract…walk for £0 argument”, and in defence of that stance the club have cashed in to the tune of c£25m rather than risk a £0 return.

But why not try to extend the contracts to keep 2 of your best assets?

That surely was an option. But not one the club either acted on or wanted to pursue.

Things just don’t feel right at the moment.

Both Sheffield clubs seem to be being steered into a potentially dark place lately.

Totally agree Papa. 

To weaken the squad by selling two of their most talented players so close to the start of the season simply beggars belief.

And Berge to Burnley, of all clubs! You couldn't make it up.

Oh, I forgot this is SUFC we are talking about and that explains it.

Berge summarised the situation when he said Burnley 'had ambition' the inference being that we don't and that's perfectly true.

Yes, a club that has an average home attendance in the Premier League of around 18k has more drive than United who had 10k more than that in the Championship.

I'm old enough to remember when players appreciated what clubs did for them and had a degree of loyalty; the likes of Jimmy Hagan and Joe Shaw come to mind. Unfortunately those days are gone and the pursuit of fame and particularly fortune have taken over.

We've survived some apparently crass decisions by the Club in the past and we'll do the same after this 'fire sale'.

Who knows this season we might even break Derby's all time low points total and that would be some achievement!

echo.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, echo beach said:

I'm old enough to remember when players appreciated what clubs did for them and had a degree of loyalty; the likes of Jimmy Hagan and Joe Shaw come to mind. Unfortunately those days are gone and the pursuit of fame and particularly fortune have taken over.

echo.

I'm also old enough to remember those days. I got to know Len Badger and his wife to a small degree. Len was a Blade through and through. We were talking about agents on one occasion and he informed me that his agent was the tea lady at the Lane, she was also his mother. Those were the days!

To a  greater or lessor degree all clubs are selling clubs in this day and age. Ronaldo to Real Madrid from ManU, Harry Kane to whoever.

Alan Woodward turned down the chance to go to Liverpool when Shankly wanted him, he was happy at the Lane. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/alan-woodward-sheffield-united-winger-who-possessed-a-stinging-shot-and-became-the-blades-leading-postwar-goalscorer-10456845.html

But today, with fortunes being offered?   It's no longer the game us older uns grew up with.

It's not the same, the money is ridiculous and can you really blame them for taking advantage?

C'est la vie

• Like 2

I'm old enough to remember September and November 1967 when we sold Mick Jones & Alan Birchenall.

Real tears from a 13 year old.

My dad told me 'Sheffield United have always been a selling club and will always be a selling club. You have to get used to it.'

My tough lesson in life.

As a Blade this is just someting we have to accept.

• Like 2

Most clubs in the football league are selling clubs these days other than the man city's of the world. If you don't sell you risk the club becoming what Wednesday have become now. Uniteds finances weren't that great before you got promoted so I get the fact the club couldn't risk losing either on a free. Wether you can replace the players is another matter altogether.

6 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Most clubs in the football league are selling clubs these days other than the man city's of the world. If you don't sell you risk the club becoming what Wednesday have become now. Uniteds finances weren't that great before you got promoted so I get the fact the club couldn't risk losing either on a free. Wether you can replace the players is another matter altogether.

Spot on! You’ve only to look at the likes of kane/ rice etc at far bigger clubs than our two where the same is happening and the fans aren’t happy 

only time will tell if there are replacements and if so are they any good