Does This Last Fortnight Beat Deane & Fjortoft?

PapaLazarou

3 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

I'm old enough to remember September and November 1967 when we sold Mick Jones & Alan Birchenall.

Real tears from a 13 year 

My dad told me 'Sheffield United have always been a selling club and will always be a selling club. You have to get used to it.'

My tough lesson in life.

As a Blade this is just someting we have to accept.

I was 20 years old stood on the Kop singing " Send Dick Wragg to Vietnam , hallelujah " . We then signed Willie Carlin 🙄 If we'd kept Jones and brought in Carlin we could well have actually won something. Clough signed Carlin for Derby and won the league.

Consistent lack of ambition from the board has hampered the Blades throughout our history.

2 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Most clubs in the football league are selling clubs these days other than the man city's of the world. If you don't sell you risk the club becoming what Wednesday have become now. Uniteds finances weren't that great before you got promoted so I get the fact the club couldn't risk losing either on a free. Wether you can replace the players is another matter altogether.

Looks like your point has just been proven nervy. If the rumours are true then Spurs have just accepted a bid for Harry Kane 

2 hours ago, m williamson said:

I was 20 years old stood on the Kop singing " Send Dick Wragg to Vietnam , hallelujah " . We then signed Willie Carlin 🙄 If we'd kept Jones and brought in Carlin we could well have actually won something. Clough signed Carlin for Derby and won the league.

Consistent lack of ambition from the board has hampered the Blades throughout our history.

Yes we should have kept Willie Carlin. Jones, Birchenhall, Carlin and an up and coming Alan Woodward. 

Plus in February 1968 we signed a kid called Currie for about £28 grand.

We'd have dominated the game. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, abbeyedges said:

Yes we should have kept Willie Carlin. Jones, Birchenhall, Carlin and an up and coming Alan Woodward. 

Plus in February 1968 we signed a kid called Currie for about £28 grand.

We'd have dominated the game. 

Yes, but that's not ' The Blades way '.

It's traditional down at the Lane to find a way to cóck things up.  I believe the tradition started when we sold Jimmy Dunne to Arsenal after he'd scored 143 goals in 173 games for us.

He still holds the record for goals scored in consecutive games in the top division of English football. The season after we sold him Arsenal won the league and we were relegated for the first time in our history.

Jimmy Dunne didn't want to leave us, he died at the age of 44 and was buried in his native Dublin wearing a Sheffield United shirt.

Traditions like that must be maintained.

• Like 1