Excessive Online Security.

10 hours ago, Chekhov said:

That's where you are wrong.

It's about appropriate security according to what you are wanting to do. You know, that word proportionatewhich is so rarely applied these days. Everything these days is a soddin' over reaction.

The only thing I am really bothered about is people being able to transfer money out of my accounts. So, whist there should be a layer of security for every thing else, it doesn't have to be as awkward if all you want to do is check your balance, or transfer some money from one account to the other.

Similarly, I cannot see why anyone needs a "One Time Passcode" to pay HMRC as nobody would ever fraudulently pay them, nor just to transfer some money from my Stripe balance into my own (pre checked) bank account.

>>sensible security measures<<

Tell you what, Mr Clevercloggs, you explain to me who would pay their VAT to HMRC (or their PAYE or their personal tax) using someone else's card or bank account.

I have thought about this one than once and get the same answer everytime : nobody.

See above.

Maybe you don't have a business to run and having to transfer money from one account to the other all the time ?

Well Gerald Ratner, maybe you shouldn't be running a business if you are the kind of person who thinks receiving a text message and entering a code to protect their online accounts, is too much effort.

Poor you.  Oh, the humanity.  It really must be such a burden just having to put a key in the door to open and lock up your shop twice a day everyday. Oh God how relentless.....

Your bank has a duty of care to protect their customers from the blindingly obvious shifting trend from physical thefts to cybercrime. If it's all sooo inconvenient, why didn't you choose one of the multiple other options to pay your VAT bill.

I bet you'd be the first to be kicking off at said bank if anything did happen to your money online..

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Over kill, and very annoying, particularly if one's phone reception is poor (as it is in my shop with its steel roof).

Always good to have a moan and get it off your chest. These are private companies, we cannot have Government telling them to do less security.

Almost as bizarre as telling banks who their customers should be.

14 hours ago, Chekhov said:

What is going on ?

I paid my VAT the other week, and the bank insisted on sending me a one time passcode (OTP) to authorise the payment....

Who the hell is going to use a fraudulent card to pay their VAT bill ? Or any other payment to the HMRC ?

How about, err, nobody ? 

I may have mentioned the above farce before, but I just logged on to Stripe (my business's payment provider) from a computer I do not usually use.

Just to clarify, nobody can transfer any money from my Stripe account to anywhere other than to my Stripe linked bank account (and to set that up is a huge amount of this kind of stuff, but it is actually understandable why that's necessary)

I had to :

1 - Put my E Mail and password in

2 - "Click this box to prove you are not a robot"

3 - Click which pictures have traffic lights in them (probably the most frustrating of all the security steps....)

4 - Then get a OTP sent through by text.

Over kill, and very annoying, particularly if one's phone reception is poor (as it is in my shop with its steel roof).

"Just to clarify, nobody can transfer any money from my Stripe account to anywhere other than to my Stripe linked bank account"

Sure about that? Not a cybersecurity/hacking expert myself, but I'm guessing neither are you. Seems like a leap to say nobody could do it.

11 hours ago, Chekhov said:

That's where you are wrong.

It's about appropriate security according to what you are wanting to do. You know, that word proportionatewhich is so rarely applied these days. Everything these days is a soddin' over reaction.

The only thing I am really bothered about is people being able to transfer money out of my accounts. So, whist there should be a layer of security for every thing else, it doesn't have to be as awkward if all you want to do is check your balance, or transfer some money from one account to the other.

Similarly, I cannot see why anyone needs a "One Time Passcode" to pay HMRC as nobody would ever fraudulently pay them, nor just to transfer some money from my Stripe balance into my own (pre checked) bank account.

Tell you what, Mr Clevercloggs, you explain to me who would pay their VAT to HMRC (or their PAYE or their personal tax) using someone else's card or bank account.

I have thought about this one than once and get the same answer everytime : nobody.

See above.

Maybe you don't have a business to run and having to transfer money from one account to the other all the time ?

By you  !!

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Ask for an opt out then.

If you really are that daft.

>>Ask for an opt out then.<<

I would love to but, I was told, one cannot opt out.

>>If you really are that daft.<<

Do you ever read any posts you answer ?

It's about appropriate security according to what you are wanting to do. You know, that word proportionate, which is so rarely applied these days. Everything these days is a soddin' over reaction.

Tell you what, Mr Clevercloggs, you explain to me who would pay their VAT to HMRC (or their PAYE or their personal tax) using someone else's card or bank account.

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

>>Ask for an opt out then.<<

I would love to but, I was told, one cannot opt out.

>>If you really are that daft.<<

Do you ever read any posts you answer ?

It's about appropriate security according to what you are wanting to do. You know, that word proportionate, which is so rarely applied these days. Everything these days is a soddin' over reaction.

Tell you what, Mr Clevercloggs, you explain to me who would pay their VAT to HMRC (or their PAYE or their personal tax) using someone else's card or bank account.

Writing it in purple doesn’t make it any more sensible.

• Thanks 1