Police Face Complaint Over Arrest Of Autistic Leeds Teenager

Police have received a complaint after a woman said her autistic daughter was arrested for saying a female officer "looked like her lesbian nana".

A video uploaded to TikTok by her mother showed the girl being detained by seven officers outside her home in Leeds early on Monday 7 August.

Officers said she was taken home after reports that she was intoxicated and at risk in Leeds city centre.

West Yorkshire Police said the video showed a "limited snapshot" of events.

The incident was filmed by the teenager's mother and posted with the caption: "This is what police do when dealing with autistic children.

"My daughter told me the police officer looked like her nana, who is a lesbian.

"The officer took it the wrong way and said it was a homophobic comment (it wasn't). The officer then entered my home.

"My daughter was having panic attacks from being touched by them and they still continued to manhandle her."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66462895.amp

I have two autistic kids, both are amazing but both are hard work. They can both say inappropriate things at inappropriate times but they never mean any harm by it. Not sure I'd be able to contain myself if either of my kids were assaulted by the police for a harmless comment If that's what happened. 

Your thoughts?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Police have received a complaint after a woman said her autistic daughter was arrested for saying a female officer "looked like her lesbian nana".

A video uploaded to TikTok by her mother showed the girl being detained by seven officers outside her home in Leeds early on Monday 7 August.

Officers said she was taken home after reports that she was intoxicated and at risk in Leeds city centre.

West Yorkshire Police said the video showed a "limited snapshot" of events.

The incident was filmed by the teenager's mother and posted with the caption: "This is what police do when dealing with autistic children.

"My daughter told me the police officer looked like her nana, who is a lesbian.

"The officer took it the wrong way and said it was a homophobic comment (it wasn't). The officer then entered my home.

"My daughter was having panic attacks from being touched by them and they still continued to manhandle her."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66462895.amp

I have two autistic kids, both are amazing but both are hard work. They can both say inappropriate things at inappropriate times but they never mean any harm by it. Not sure I'd be able to contain myself if either of my kids were assaulted by the police for a harmless comment If that's what happened. 

Your thoughts?

My bold.

Just now, hackey lad said:

Look beyond the headlines .

I did 😉

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

And what did you deduce ?

I don't believe them. I'm siding with Bacon on this. The story seems just that, a story.

The mums playing the autistic angle like she cares yet allegedly let's her autistic (vulnerable) teen goes out alone and get drunk.

I don't believe the comment was "She looks like a lesbian like nana". I get a feeling it was something different, more blunt. 

And as usual the video apparently only starts during a 'struggle' in the hallway. If cops visited my home to talk to either of my kids the camera would be rolling before they even got through my door..

There's a few other things that don't seem right to me but I'm tired and can't be bothered.

4 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I don't believe them. I'm siding with Bacon on this. The story seems just that, a story.

The mums playing the autistic angle like she cares yet allegedly let's her autistic (vulnerable) teen goes out alone and get drunk.

I don't believe the comment was "She looks like a lesbian like nana". I get a feeling it was something different, more blunt. 

And as usual the video apparently only starts during a 'struggle' in the hallway. If cops visited my home to talk to either of my kids the camera would be rolling before they even got through my door..

There's a few other things that don't seem right to me but I'm tired and can't be bothered.

Who is bacon ?

2 minutes ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

Could be read  as 16 yr old intoxicated at 1am in a city centre, getting a free taxi home by cops, desides to be a smart asre then cried wolf.

Shining example of  concerned  parenting 

:thumbsup: