Digital Visas (At A Charge. ) Needed To Travel To Europe ?

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

(…)It is also probable that rules will change with certain countrie pushing  for much tougher requirements from UK with spent criminal, drug, fraud, abuse and violent histories being declared. The UK thresholds are seen as being far too weak.

This consequence, rather than the fee, is likely to provide the biggest upset for many UK travellers, with a criminal conviction long in their past but still on their record and motivating a refusal. No more travelling to the EU for them.

Just now, L00b said:

This consequence, rather than the fee, is likely to provide the biggest upset for many UK travellers, with a criminal conviction long in their past but still on their record and motivating a refusal. No more travelling to the EU for them.

If they voted Leave its their own fault. No sympathy. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, L00b said:

Curious - how many people actually have an applicable 'criminal record' - unless of course, the EU or constituent countries decide to trawl back 30 years, which will be pointless as most spent convictions are wiped from your records after so long, anyway?

If they voted Remain and Conservative, it’s still their own fault.

The point is: ‘sympathy’ is neither here nor there, this is merely another unavoidable consequence of the form of Brexit pursued by recent British governments.

With a side helping of irony: the U.K. contributed to and approved this EU visa waiver scheme for third country nationals whilst still an EU member state at the time (2016 lol!)

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Curious - how many people actually have an applicable 'criminal record' - unless of course, the EU or constituent countries decide to trawl back 30 years, which will be pointless as most spent convictions are wiped from your records after so long, anyway?

Devil likely to be in the details, as always.

[edit: here goes, https://etias.com/articles/applying-for-etias-with-a-criminal-record. 10 years for crim conviction; 20 years for terrorist conviction; ‘variable geometry’ application (some EU countries still entitled to refuse entry notwithstanding ETIAS)]

Like this detail (unrelated to criminal conviction, but most bothersome for -no doubt- many British residents):

Starting in 2024, it will be a requirement to be a full British citizen before applying for an ETIAS, so travellers holding a passport or travel document with a different status such as a British subject, British overseas citizen or British protected person will be required to apply for a full Schengen visitor visa, and not an ETIAS.

Edited by L00b

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

Devil likely to be in the details, as always.

Like this one (unrelated to criminal conviction, but most bothersome for -no doubt- many British residents):

Starting in 2024, it will be a requirement to be a full British citizen before applying for an ETIAS, so travellers holding a passport or travel document with a different status such as a British subject, British overseas citizen or British protected person will be required to apply for a full Schengen visitor visa, and not an ETIAS.

Like I say - sour grapes. Just hope the UK plays silly asses in return.

21 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Like I say - sour grapes. Just hope the UK plays silly asses in return.

It's not just the UK that will have to use this system. Japs will, Yanks will, Canadians will.... Essentially every country that isn't in the EU. It's nothing personal. 

And, as already stated, the UK contributed to the setting up of this system prior to the vote in 2016.

Edited by HeHasRisen

15 minutes ago, L00b said:

Sorry, I don’t follow. What’s your point?

OK - knee jerk reaction by me, possibly, but what does the EU aim to achieve, apart from even more bureaucracy?

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

It's not just the UK that will have to use this system. Japs will, Yanks will, Canadians will.... Essentially every country that isn't in the EU. It's nothing personal. 

And, as already stated, the UK contributed to the setting up of this system prior to the vote in 2016.

Fair enough - see my response above.

14 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

OK - knee jerk reaction by me, possibly, but what does the EU aim to achieve, apart from even more bureaucracy?

Would you prefer a system whereby everyone has to pay 70 quid and visit an embassy in order to get an actual visa instead, requiring giving up your passport for a few months whilst they sort it? 

Be careful what you wish for. 

As for what they are trying to achieve - surely this is just their version of "taking back control", just like millions of people voted for here in 2016. Can't have the penny and the bun. 

The UK has its own version which begins the end of 2023. Cost is a tenner, which is more than seven Euros, and lasts for only 2 years rather than 3....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Travel_Authorisation_(United_Kingdom)?wprov=sfla1

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Fair enough - see my response above.

Much the same as the UK looks to achieve by requiring visas or visa waivers from a myriad countries. Namely, control and monitoring of those permitted to enter the UK.

I'm struggling to understand why you think that should not be applied to UK citizens wishing to enter other countries?