Emergency Operators Are Warned To Ask Callers How They Want To Be Referred To

21 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Hello this is 999… which pronoun do you require? Emergency operators are warned to ask callers how they want to be referred to rather than 'misgendering' them based on their voices

Call-centre staff should also not use Sir or Madam, with one ambulance trust stating preferred pronouns should be sought even in emergencies so the experience is less stressful for trans patients.

Others say birth sex is often irrelevant to care, so operators can use patients' self-identified gender.

The policies can be revealed today in the second part of an investigation into the spread of contested gender ideology in the NHS. 

As the Daily Mail reported last week, hospital trusts are letting patients who only occasionally identify as women into female-only wards. Maternity staff also refer to 'birthing people' rather than women and mothers

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12400921/Hello-999-pronoun-require-Emergency-operators-warned-ask-callers-want-referred-misgendering-based-voices.html?utm_source=flipboard&utm_content=DailyMailUS%2Fmagazine%2FTop+Stories

If this is true then I'm not sure about you but in an emergency Pronouns would be the least of my worries 

Your thoughts?

It's interesting that the article only reports the feedback from the Ambulance Trusts that have this policy. Of the 9 English Ambulance Trusts, the article only quotes from responses from 2 of them. I wonder if the DM asked private providers the same question.

Personally I think it's an appalling waste of money that the DM has requested this information. Presumably it used an FOI request to the trusts in questions. 

In terms of the hospital trusts and use of female only wards, it's interesting that the article hasn't identified these wards or the source of this information. 

The Policy Exchange is always relied upon to be 'outraged' about anything remotely progressive. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Exactly!

Wouldn't it be a bit racist insensitive to ask a non-Christian what their Christian name was? :suspect:

I personally couldn't care less - I'm atheist and call it a Christian name - I just find it funny when the oh-so-inclusive left pick and choose when to be inclusive...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

I personally couldn't care less - I'm atheist and call it a Christian name - I just find it funny when the oh-so-inclusive left pick and choose when to be inclusive...

It's an interesting point though!

I'm sure there are many non-Christian religious people who WOULD be "offended" if they were asked what their Christian name was... :|

15 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

I'm sure there are many non-Christian religious people who WOULD be "offended" if they were asked what their Christian name was... :|

Tough - they are in a nominally Christian country - by choice, so I personally see no reason why we should accommodate them.

12 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

I feel that offence is a personal issue and, unless it's said with malice, I think people have bigger things to worry about. Would I be offended if asked what my Islamic or Jewish name is (were it such a thing)? Not really - I'd understand what they were on about and pay no mind to any potential ism or phobia.

We live in a country still perceived as Christian - you have to expect that people will uphold those traditions and ways, no matter how out-dated someone may feel they are.

As was mentioned in the link, even using 'first name' could cause offence, so how far do you take it?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Exactly!

Wouldn't it be a bit racist insensitive to ask a non-Christian what their Christian name was? :suspect:

so you are suggesting now that you aska person their religion before asking what their christian name is?

Im not a christian but i woull certainly respond in the positive to someone asking me what my christian name is

does that mean you arent allowed to ask a  female what their surname is as it sounds like "sir" when said.

• Confused 1