Primark The Moor - Dwindling Standards

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1509891715859513 

It's not a laughing matter. Many independent business owners agree with us.

Yeah and I reckon that many others completely disagree with you.  Take a look around at what is happening. Look at some of these independent food courts that are springing up all over the place, it's filled with businesses that are either card only or heavily take their income from card transactions.  Go to a county show, farmers market, Christmas market - see how many traders have got card machines set up and ready to go. Pubs and restaurants up and down the land are leaning towards card payments. Little independent cafes, hair salons, barbers, nail bars, take- aways, even my village's tiny sandwich bar has got card machines.  Buses accept card payments, taxis accept card payments, charity collectors accept card payments. Even some buskers have now got card machines.

My window cleaner, my decorator and the last plumber I used were all happily paid by bank transfer.  Most of my input to work collections for gifts to colleagues are sent round as links to make online payment transfer.

For several years now gifts to relatives outside my immediate household have been prepaid debit cards or gift cards for a certain retailer because they are much easier and safer than cash to send out and can be cancelled if they go missing.

For businesses, no more worrying about transporting and storing and securing and depositing cash. No more faffing about having to balance change and keep floats. No more time wasted back and forth to a bank.... Those independent traders can run their point of sale on little more than a mobile phone and a £39 a card machine.  That's a damn sight cheaper than most cash registers and comes with the added bonus of doing half the bookkeeping job for you.

Your group sounds like an echo chamber to me. You keep fighting that fight with your fellow luddites, deludedly battling against a form of payment which has been in existence since the early 70s and mainstream for nearly 40 years.

The rest of us are moving on with the world.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah and I reckon that many others completely disagree you.  Take a look around at what is happening. Look at some of these independent food courts that are springing up all over the place, it's filled with businesses that are either card only or heavily take their income from card transactions.  Go to a county show, farmers market, Christmas market see how many traders have got card machines set up and ready to go. Pubs and restaurants up and down the land are leaning towards card payments. Little independent cafes, hair salons, barbers, nail bars, take aways, even my village's tiny sandwich bar has got card machines.  Buses accept card payments, taxis accept card payments, charity collectors accept card payments. Even some buskers have now got card machines.

My window cleaner, my decorator and the last plumber I used were all happily paid by bank transfer.  Most of my input to work collections for gifts to colleagues are sent round has links to make online payment transfer.

For several years now gifts to relatives outside my immediate household have been prepaid debit cards or gift cards for a certain retailer  because they are much easier and safer than cash to send out and can be cancelled if they go missing.

For businesses, no more worrying about transporting and storing and securing and depositing cash. No more faffing about having to balance change and keep floats. No more time wasted back and forth to a bank.... Those independent traders can run their point of sale on little more than a mobile phone and a £39 a card machine.  That's a damn site cheaper than most cash registers and comes with the added bonus of doing half the bookkeeping job for you.

Your group sounds like an echo chamber to me. You keep fighting that fight with your fellow luddites, deludidly battling against a form of payment which is being existence since the early 70s and mainstream for nearly 40 years.

The rest of us are moving on with the world.

No Name Bar & Restaurant, Crookes - Cash Only

Five Star Fish Bar, Crookes - Cash Only

Hackney Cabs, Sheffield - Cash Only

👍

Bank cards may have been around for 40 years but even 10 years ago, most people wouldn't dream of using one in a shop to buy a packet of chewing gum.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

No Name Bar & Restaurant, Crookes - Cash Only

Five Star Fish Bar, Crookes - Cash Only

Hackney Cabs, Sheffield - Cash Only

👍

Bank cards may have been around for 40 years but even 10 years ago, most people wouldn't dream of using one in a shop to buy a packet of chewing gum.

I'm not talking about a handful of local examples im talking about wider wholesale changes in society. The way that the world has always progressed and we have to progress with it.

Yes well done, you have found some establishments that don't take card, but out of  how many other restaurants and fish bars that take debit cards or are connected to one of the many food  app services.

Yes, for some stupid reason the majority of our hackney cabs still are cash only - but that is clearly why they are getting their ass kicked by the mini cab services and Uber who do offer card-based payments. Plus it is a dwindling minority anyway, given that many local authorities are insisting that their licence hackney carriage drivers do provide facility for card payments

56 years ago it was implausible to think of getting cash by any means other than queueing up in a bank and making sure you are there Monday to Friday 9to5, otherwise you out of luck. Then came along Barclays with its launch of the first cash machine and the revolution happened. I didn't see many groups of morons protesting about those new fangled cash points and demanding their rights to be restricted to only getting cash from the bank counter during standard office hours.  

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Some = two. 

She hasn't had a very good day, bless her.  Thinks Costa run the Tesco cafes 😂

Riverside Fishbar, Langsett Road too

39 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

56 years ago it was implausible to think of getting cash by any means other than queueing up in a bank and making sure you are there Monday to Friday 9to5, otherwise you out of luck. Then came along Barclays with its launch of the first cash machine and the revolution happened. I didn't see many groups of morons protesting about those new fangled cash points and demanding their rights to be restricted to only getting cash from the bank counter during standard office hours.  

It was still using cash, if anything, ATMs support the use of cash with having it readily available.

• Like 1