Primark The Moor - Dwindling Standards

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

Riverside Fishbar, Langsett Road too

Wowzers, up to 3 now - they really are fighting back, those 2 chip shops & a cafe

Throw your cards away lads & lasses, they're doomed

9 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I'm not talking about a handful of local examples im talking about wider wholesale changes in society. The way that the world has always progressed and we have to progress with it.

Yes well done, you have found some establishments that don't take card, but out of  how many other restaurants and fish bars that take debit cards or are connected to one of the many food  app services.

Yes, for some stupid reason the majority of our hackney cabs still are cash only - but that is clearly why they are getting their ass kicked by the mini cab services and Uber who do offer card-based payments. Plus it is a dwindling minority anyway, given that many local authorities are insisting that their licence hackney carriage drivers do provide facility for card payments

56 years ago it was implausible to think of getting cash by any means other than queueing up in a bank and making sure you are there Monday to Friday 9to5, otherwise you out of luck. Then came along Barclays with its launch of the first cash machine and the revolution happened. I didn't see many groups of morons protesting about those new fangled cash points and demanding their rights to be restricted to only getting cash from the bank counter during standard office hours.  

I use a card for many payments.  But not usually for very small payments unless there’s no alternative.  Luddite is it to pay cash?  Well, occasionally those new fangled card payment machines don’t work.  Then just as the assistant is about to start apologising, I say ‘no problem, I’ll pay cash instead’.  Or at a parking meter, I’ve seen people faffing about trying to download a payment app to their phone while struggling to get a signal.  Meanwhile I just pop a few coins in the meter.

We are told electronic payments are convenient. Which indeed they are.  Until the technology they use fails. 

I’ve always been happy with paying larger amounts on card and smaller transactions with cash.  And I would prefer cash to remain an option as there are problems with relying *completely* on technology for *all* payments.  

And moving back closer to the original topic or this thread, self service tills are another example of something which can be very convenient in some situations but relying on them too heavily isn’t so great.  
I often like them for small purchases because it’s quick and convenient.  But if I’m buying more than a few bits in a supermarket I use a staffed till if possible because if I’m putting a large amount of items through a self checkout it is no longer quick and convenient.  It’s particularly annoying when the assistant looking after the self checkout doesn’t have much to do and they just watch whilst I work as basically an unpaid checkout assistant! 
Which has reminded me of the bizarre Premier Inn self check ins.  They provide these machines but their staff obviously have had in drummed into them that they must help all their guests with using them. To the point where they stand over your shoulder watch everything you type in.  I have no idea what the point of these is.  If they want their receptionists to provide that level of assistance, just get rid of the self service machines and go back to a traditional check in!

I have a mate that prefers cash.

I guess m just echoing what others have said.

Times have changed, the demographic for spenders is weighted towards the younger generation that spend the most. It always has been.

Those that will only use cash are ‘acceptable losses’.

People are more spontaineous these days and not having enough cash is not a chance a retailer wants to take for you not spending.

To a degree Covid halped the cashless society. Thats the only way we could spend. Cash is dirty !

12 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

No Name Bar & Restaurant, Crookes - Cash Only

Five Star Fish Bar, Crookes - Cash Only

Hackney Cabs, Sheffield - Cash Only

👍

Bank cards may have been around for 40 years but even 10 years ago, most people wouldn't dream of using one in a shop to buy a packet of chewing gum.

A credit or debit card is required for the online booking deposit, or it was last time I booked a table there a few months ago.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, redruby said:

I use a card for many payments.  But not usually for very small payments unless there’s no alternative.  Luddite is it to pay cash?  Well, occasionally those new fangled card payment machines don’t work.  Then just as the assistant is about to start apologising, I say ‘no problem, I’ll pay cash instead’.  Or at a parking meter, I’ve seen people faffing about trying to download a payment app to their phone while struggling to get a signal.  Meanwhile I just pop a few coins in the meter.

We are told electronic payments are convenient. Which indeed they are.  Until the technology they use fails. 

I’ve always been happy with paying larger amounts on card and smaller transactions with cash.  And I would prefer cash to remain an option as there are problems with relying *completely* on technology for *all* payments.  

Conversely, I'm sat in my car paying for parking in less than a minute whilst you're trying to find the cash and the parking meter and then bringing your ticket back to the car. And then I'm getting a notification on my phone that my parking is expiring and I can extend it with a few clicks on my phone, whilst you're checking your watch and traipsing back to your car to get a new ticket.

• Like 2