The Woke Virus

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I mean what your educated mate quoted .

It's like the novels 1984 or The Hunger Games - a vision of a nightmarish future

Edited by Mister M

It seems like there are a number of people looking to be offended by a company having a re-brand; something which many institutions undertake from time to time.
Anti-Woke seems to be the current trend/bandwagon to some folk to jump on ; anti DEI seems to be catching on too.
Personally I don't have an account with them, does anyone who's commenting?
I'm not going to bother researching to see if members previously objected when they dropped "Building Society" from their branding, which is surely far more important.
At that time though (early 80's?)  "Building Societies" were still mutual, so the distinction may not have been so important to them. See Wiki for De-Mutualisation 1986
If I didn't know The Nottingham was a building society, I wouldn't have a clue from their old logo/branding.

image.png.0c9852abc310a56c9a5bd1e52bff3dc2.png

They've now re-instated "Building Society" amongst the other changes, which to me is good as it distinguishes them from other previous building societies which are no longer mutually owned, such as The Halifax, which became a PLC, Abbey National etc..

image.png.8b992a6f6bc2048c0aeaa1b5e1db1ceb.png
Several reports seem to miss the word "financial" out of their headlines when mentioning diversity and inclusivity; I wonder if that's to fit in with the anti-DEI trend at the moment?
Why not visit the society's own website, rather than relying on news media?

New look Nottingham Building Society  

Why are we changing?

We've mixed our rich history with a modern twist. We want to reflect society as it is today.

For us, that means championing inclusivity and celebrating financial diversity.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, peak4 said:

It seems like there are a number of people looking to be offended by a company having a re-brand; something which many institutions undertake from time to time.
Anti-Woke seems to be the current trend/bandwagon to some folk to jump on ; anti DEI seems to be catching on too.
Personally I don't have an account with them, does anyone who's commenting?
I'm not going to bother researching to see if members previously objected when they dropped "Building Society" from their branding, which is surely far more important.
At that time though (early 80's?)  "Building Societies" were still mutual, so the distinction may not have been so important to them. See Wiki for De-Mutualisation 1986
If I didn't know The Nottingham was a building society, I wouldn't have a clue from their old logo/branding.

image.png.0c9852abc310a56c9a5bd1e52bff3dc2.png

They've now re-instated "Building Society" amongst the other changes, which to me is good as it distinguishes them from other previous building societies which are no longer mutually owned, such as The Halifax, which became a PLC, Abbey National etc..

image.png.8b992a6f6bc2048c0aeaa1b5e1db1ceb.png
Several reports seem to miss the word "financial" out of their headlines when mentioning diversity and inclusivity; I wonder if that's to fit in with the anti-DEI trend at the moment?
Why not visit the society's own website, rather than relying on news media?

New look Nottingham Building Society  

Why are we changing?

We've mixed our rich history with a modern twist. We want to reflect society as it is today.

For us, that means championing inclusivity and celebrating financial diversity.

Thanks for this - once again, you're the voice of reason. 

I think you've summed it up - there are people looking to be offended at the most insignificant detail. Ironically enough the same people who are offended by this stuff usually accuse others of "being offended on behalf of others" or say "people have no right not to be offended". 

• Thanks 1