The Woke Virus

8 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

That can't be what they are showing children, I am not having that.

This is a pretty good article about it, including quotes from the publisher.

Will admits the action he and Maria have taken will result in a lot of criticism and accusations being levelled against them.

“The staff felt I was being bigoted and I was not having that,” he said. “I have volunteered at both Hull and York Pride events. Some people will try and twist this and make me out to be some kind of homophobe. But if we want equality and understanding then we should respect certain boundaries.

“There are many LGBTQ+ books at the nursery which is great. They encourage children to be tolerant, respectful and not to judge people. But I believe this book has gone too far in introducing sexual imagery.

“I have been to many Pride events and there can be inappropriate behaviour for children which is why Hull has a family-friendly zone and that’s fine.

“It is a shame as this is a very good nursery and my children have been very happy here. The trustees have responded reasonably well and taken the book out while carrying out a safety audit. My criticism is with the staff who thought it was okay in the first place.”

And from the publisher:

The book Grandad’s Pride, written and illustrated by Harry Woodgate, has already courted controversy with some parents reacting angrily on social media when it was released earlier this year.

That has prompted a response from the book’s publisher Andersen Press which states: “We stand by our author and illustrator Harry Woodgate and their book Grandad’s Pride. We believe it is a faithful representation of Pride Celebrations and Pride Parades around the country enjoyed by many families.

“We discussed the images of the Pride parade during our stringent and robust editorial process and decided collectively that we should show a true representation of what a Pride march looks like and what the many children who attend these events see. We consider accusations of “hidden messages” to be baseless, deeply offensive and homophobic.”

Edited by Guest

I was brought  up on 'Ladybird' books in the 50s with Mummy always in the kitchen showing daughter how to cook, and Daddy outside in the garage showing son how to mend the car. They reflected a perfect world and the times we lived in. 

I wouldn't say they did me any harm, but certainly influenced my perception of how the world should be. 

'Grandad's Pride' is an interesting case. It also reflects the times we live in, and no doubt will start a few conversations for those that want them.

But let's remember It's not compulsory reading...

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I was brought  up on 'Ladybird' books in the 50s with Mummy always in the kitchen showing daughter how to cook, and Daddy outside in the garage showing son how to mend the car. They reflected a perfect world and the times we lived in. 

I wouldn't say they did me any harm, but certainly influenced my perception of how the world should be. 

'Grandad's Pride' is an interesting case. It also reflects the times we live in, and no doubt will start a few conversations for those that want them.

But let's remember It's not compulsory reading...

You think Grandad pride is an interesting case?

What part of showing pictures two old men in suspenders and stockings to four year old children is interesting to you?  Not compulsory reading, did the children have a choice?

So using your ladybird book example, you are saying that children will grow up thinking old men in bondage gear is how they will perceive the world should be?

Why would showing you pictures of daddy mending a car and mummy cooking  harm you in anyway at all?  You sound surprised it didn't.

Edited by Al Bundy

17 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

You think Grandad pride is an interesting case?

What part of showing pictures two old men in suspenders and stockings to four year old children is interesting to you?  Not compulsory reading, did the children have a choice?

So using your ladybird book example, you are saying that children will grow up thinking old men in bondage gear is how they will perceive the world should be?

Why would showing you pictures of daddy mending a car and mummy cooking  harm you in anyway at all?  You sound surprised it didn't.

I'm not saying you're wrong, it makes me feel uncomfortable too. But I'm assuming that the book will not be widely read, but be available in appropriate circumstances, which will help a child (presumably with a gay grandad) understand the world he's living in, which is surely not a bad thing. 

I loved Ladybird books as a child, they did me no harm, but maybe failed to give me aspirations as to what a woman could be. It took women's Lib in the 70's to do that, by which time I was a housewife with 3 kids so a bit late in the day.  

57 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, it makes me feel uncomfortable too. But I'm assuming that the book will not be widely read, but be available in appropriate circumstances, which will help a child (presumably with a gay grandad) understand the world he's living in, which is surely not a bad thing. 

I loved Ladybird books as a child, they did me no harm, but maybe failed to give me aspirations as to what a woman could be. It took women's Lib in the 70's to do that, by which time I was a housewife with 3 kids so a bit late in the day.  

Thanks for the response, your posts are always interesting and thoughtful with no insults.

👍

My bold, you make that sound as if that's a bad thing!!

'It's not compulsory reading...'

But you're homophobic if you have a problem with your child reading it!

That's how the argument goes these days.

And i have no problem with children learning that gay people exist... just maybe don't do it in an overly sexualised way, as if promoting them as sexual deviants.

• Like 1