The Woke Virus

3 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

We were having a conversation about this at the weekend, and someone referred back to the whole banning of Roy chubby Brown from performing that time in Sheffield.

It was agreed that it was stupid... if you don't like something, or someone, don't go and see them, however other people may like it, and that's their choice, but by banning something, you're forcing your own views on everyone, no freedom of choice given.

Common sense :thumbsup: Not much of it about nowadays.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Common sense :thumbsup: Not much of it about nowadays.

That's the problem. 

There are enough serious problems in the world that need sorting without sweating the small stuff, which can generally be worked out with a bit of tolerance and common sense. But people just seem to love an argument these days.

Surely there's room for all sorts of people and several different points of view without turning everything into a crisis.

What happened to live and let live?

• Like 2

People should stop wasting their time on woke subjects, and think about serious subjects like :

Why are disabled people in wheelchairs not helped more onto planes , coaches and trains ?

Why was a man imprisoned for a rape he didn’t commit because the police failed to check a DNA  sample on the clothing of the rape victim.?

Why are drunks and drug addicts allowed into A & E departments holding places up for genuinely ill patients ?

Why are kids allowed to carry knives which may injure or kill other people ?

My God ! Are there not more serious goings on than WOKE ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pattricia said:

People should stop wasting their time on woke subjects, and think about serious subjects like :

Why are disabled people in wheelchairs not helped more onto planes , coaches and trains ?

Why was a man imprisoned for a rape he didn’t commit because the police failed to check a DNA  sample on the clothing of the rape victim.?

Why are drunks and drug addicts allowed into A & E departments holding places up for genuinely ill patients ?

Why are kids allowed to carry knives which may injure or kill other people ?

My God ! Are there not more serious goings on than WOKE ?

I agree with you Patricia. 

I think the issue has become totally disproportionate, and probably deliberately so. Much of it serves as a useful distraction from other perhaps more complex and deep rooted issues.

I do wonder as well the impact of the labelling of things as 'woke' - awareness of others, or 'political correctness', like common decency are bad things. 

I've said before on another thread on here, that these sorts of 'culture war' issues do have consequences. Numerous charities reported that the spike in hate crimes against disabled people happened at a time when disabled people were vilified in some quarters. During the Brexit debate, the number of people visibly not white were frequently told to "get back where they came from", or had religious dress ripped from them rose markedly.  While obviously in a democracy matters need to be discussed, language also matters; and I think some people are unable to articulate what they say with nuance, or more insidiously, do so to 'vice signal' their bigotry to others.

23 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Numerous charities reported that the spike in hate crimes against disabled people happened at a time when disabled people were vilified in some quarters. During the Brexit debate, the number of people visibly not white were frequently told to "get back where they came from", or had religious dress ripped from them rose markedly.

here we have an example of divisive wokery in action, forever playing the victim

31 minutes ago, Mister M said:

What do you think should happen to people who get drunk or take drugs who need the services of an A&E department?

A huge chunk of the NHS cancer burden would likely be removed if smoking was banned. Do you think smokers should be refused cancer treatment?

Edited by HeHasRisen

15 minutes ago, fools said:

here we have an example of divisive wokery in action, forever playing the victim

And you're an example of gaslit tool who dribbles into his lap as you lap up your Farage & GBNews.

As I'm neither disabled or from an ethnic minority I don't see how I'm "playing the victim". But I'm sure that speaking facts and telling the truth is divisive wokery to you. But that's what you get when you have reconstitued spam for brains.

15 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

What do you think should happen to people who get drunk or take drugs who need the services of an A&E department?

A huge chunk of the NHS cancer burden would likely be removed if smoking was banned. Do you think smokers should be refused cancer treatment?

I was agreeing with the sentiments of Patricia's post, not the entire specifics.

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

And you're an example of gaslit tool who dribbles into his lap as you lap up your Farage & GBNews.

As I'm neither disabled or from an ethnic minority I don't see how I'm "playing the victim". But I'm sure that speaking facts and telling the truth is divisive wokery to you. But that's what you get when you have reconstitued spam for brains.

you wokies play the victim on other peoples behalf ... that's the woke virtue signalling game. Facts don't enter into it, which is why you get triggered when pulled up after posting nonsense

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I was agreeing with the sentiments of Patricia's post, not the entire specifics.

For some reason it's quoted your name as the author and not hers 😂

5 minutes ago, fools said:

you wokies play the victim on other peoples behalf ... that's the woke virtue signalling game. Facts don't enter into it, which is why you get triggered when pulled up after posting nonsense

Listen, if I wanted to play the victim on anyone's behalf it'd be yours. I mean what sadder sight can there be than someone who rushes on here whenever I post something, just so you can post something contrary. Are you that obsessed?

I suggest you find a hobby, or something that'll occupy the few remaining brain cells you have left.

Edited by Mister M
  • Haha 1