The Woke Virus

39 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Who is hating?

I think it's more that others are being told to accept trans for who they are when they themselves were not able to accept who they were.

Blatant hypocrisy.

I think self loathing and disliking other people because they are trans are 2 separate things.

37 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Everyone in our country is required to obey our laws. Last time I checked there are no laws on views/opinions/thoughts, and nor should there be. The law is broken when a person makes comments towards a person based on their gender identity, sexuality or skin colour that are derogatory and meet the criteria for hate speech. It is not just speech either, homosexuals were attacked physically last week in Clapham. This is why we have laws to so that people can live freely without fear of assault.

Good point Irene.

Although as a gay man I shouldn't be shocked by attacks motivated by homophobia, I was shocked by the knifings of the 2 men down in Clapham last week.

Even in an area which has a high density of gay people living and working, it just goes to show it can happen anywhere. Tragically many people move to places like London, Brigton, or Manchester to find other people like themselves or even just basic acceptance, and they end up face to face with homophobia. Very sad.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

Good point Irene.

Although as a gay man I shouldn't be shocked by attacks motivated by homophobia, I was shocked by the knifings of the 2 men down in Clapham last week.

Even in an area which has a high density of gay people living and working, it just goes to show it can happen anywhere. Tragically many people move to places like London, Brigton, or Manchester to find other people like themselves or even just basic acceptance, and they end up face to face with homophobia. Very sad.

It is sad indeed. I feel for you. I can't imagine what it must be like but you should be able to live freely and live your life to the full, without fear.

8 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Woke was a disease that was pre-covid

It's now become a religion where it gives anyone who worships it a strange sense of euphoria that they are better than everyone else

But being woke is mainly about p*ssing off conservatives who actually agree that the world should be a better place

If we could meet in the middle then a lot could be achieved but the woke are like the Nazi brown shirts

There are no grey areas....you either agree with them or they will silence you  

I just don't see 'woke' as something invented to p*ss of Conservatives.

Much like political correctness, it started from people's experiences which allied itself to an old American phrase.

Now all of a sudden, it's used by various people on which to hang all their pet hates - only in that sense is it about p*ssing off Conservatives.

Years ago I would've been called woke for going on gay pride marches. Actually I was called much worse, but that rightly convinced me of the need for such marches. 

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It is sad indeed. I feel for you. I can't imagine what it must be like but you should be able to live freely and live your life to the full, without fear.

I'm okay, and live my life free from fear, but I think that's more about getting older and feeling more confident in my own skin.

Notwithstanding the dreadful attack last week,  what saddens me is knowing that younger people growing up often get targeted because of their orientation. That's where the change has to happen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Good point Irene.

Can't speak for London/Manchester, as I haven't spent long enough there to come to an opinion, but I spent a considerable amount of time in Brighton, and not noticed any hostility to the quite large LGB community there.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Can't speak for London/Manchester, as I haven't spent long enough there to come to an opinion, but I spent a considerable amount of time in Brighton, and not noticed any hostility to the quite large LGB community there.

When I lived in Manchester about 20 odd years ago there wasn't a great deal of hostility that I could detect either. In fact most of the abuse gay men received was from other gay men - which is why I withdrew from it.

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

When I lived in Manchester about 20 odd years ago there wasn't a great deal of hostility that I could detect either. In fact most of the abuse gay men received was from other gay men - which is why I withdrew from it.

Fair enough.

16 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I was in the Burger King in central Manchester around 7 years ago and I heard someone being called a homophobic insult. I have also heard of attacks on homosexuals taking place outside nightclubs up there. Nearby Liverpool has had a speight of homophobic attacks take place there in recent times. 

19 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I notice you missed a letter off there...

Edited by Irene Swaine