Do Sheffield City Council Have Something Against Roundabouts ?

10 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Not just fatalities to take into account, injury and illness also have a monetary value attached.

Absolutely, in fact, TBH, I'd rather get topped than end up with severe injuries permanently affecting my quality of life.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

They even described where the car of the deceased ended up, I doubt very much they invented it.

I suppose there is a chance it might have happened before the "crashmap" stats, 24 years ago I believe, which would be 1999.

Crash map goes back to 1999 according to their website.

Its usually the 3 to 5 year history of a location that councils use to determine whether interventions are needed.

• 2 weeks later...

In the last week Tinsley roundabout near Meadowhall has failed to function costing drivers up to 2 hours in delays in the mornings and now in the evenings with Xmas shoppers.

When traffic is on a roundabout and you can't get on it, please dont block the roundabout itself, stay behind the lights until the roundabout has a clear space for you to join.
There are no yellow boxes on the exit lanes and when these get clogged the whole roundabout grinds to a halt.

Edited by Findlay

On 21/11/2023 at 14:45, Bargepole23 said:

Based on what, your qualifications in armchair highway engineering?

Provide a link to any cost-benefit analysis you have carried out, or any other studies, or anything more than just casual observation.

I was chuckling over this post (that implies the highways experts always know what they're doing) this morning as I attempted to negotiate the nightmare that is the junction of Bedford Rd and Cockshutts lane....

Basically, when they blocked off the bottom of Bedford Road (Oughtibridge), the "expert" highways engineers neglected to do anything about the fact that all the traffic from well over 100 houses would now be have to go up Bedford Rd and turn sharp left down Cockshutts, as all the cars coming in the other direction had to execute a sharp right hand turn. It's often carnage, because the "experts" failed to paint double yellow all round what was then a busy junction. Apparently they have not done it since because all the legal stuff would, apparently, be really expensive, but if they'd done it at the time it'd have been much much cheaper.

Similarly, but in the opposite sense, when they blocked off the end of Bedford Street (opposite Rutland Rd) they failed to include in all the legal stuff removing the double yellows on that now stub of a road. Loads of spaces which people could park in and get the tram into town are unavailable..... Again, apparently, it's too expensive to do all the legal stuff on a standalone case to remove them, but it'd have cost no more had they done it at the time.....

Highway experts you say, never wrong ?

Edited by Chekhov

On 16/08/2023 at 13:09, Chekhov said:

As a supplementary question have the esteemed members of this forum got a particular junction they think would work far better as a roundabout ?

Of the routes I use a lot my suggestion would be the junction of Wheel lane/ Saltbox Lane and Halifax Rd/Penistone Rd up at Gleadles, though Dykes Hall Rd/Far lane would be up there too.

Also, for a non traffic controlled junction, Bracken Hill/Burncross Rd in Chapeltown, I am surprised there aren't more accidents there TBH.

This is  a typo, it should obviously be up at Grenoside !

I have another suggestion for a junction requiring a roundabout (High Green) Wortley Rd / Hollinberry Lane and Westwood Rd (A61). Turning right there is an absolute nightmare.....

And the crashmap.co.uk (put High Green into the search bar) confirms just how dangerous both of these junctions are are....

14 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I was chuckling over this post (that implies the highways experts always know what they're doing) this morning as I attempted to negotiate the nightmare that is the junction of Bedford Rd and Cockshutts lane....

Basically, when they blocked off the bottom of Bedford Road (Oughtibridge), the "expert" highways engineers neglected to do anything about the fact that all the traffic from well over 100 houses would now be have to go up Bedford Rd and turn sharp left down Cockshutts, as all the cars coming in the other direction had to execute a sharp right hand turn. It's often carnage, because the "experts" failed to paint double yellow all round what was then a busy junction. Apparently they have not done it since because all the legal stuff would, apparently, be really expensive, but if they'd done it at the time it'd have been much much cheaper.

Similarly, but in the opposite sense, when they blocked off the end of Bedford Street (opposite Rutland Rd) they failed to include in all the legal stuff removing the double yellows on that now stub of a road. Loads of spaces which people could park in and get the tram into town are unavailable..... Again, apparently, it's too expensive to do all the legal stuff on a standalone case to remove them, but it'd have cost no more had they done it at the time.....

Highway experts you say, never wrong ?

Carnage! Nightmare!

9 hours ago, Chekhov said:

This is  a typo, it should obviously be up at Grenoside !

I have another suggestion for a junction requiring a roundabout (High Green) Wortley Rd / Hollinberry Lane and Westwood Rd (A61). Turning right there is an absolute nightmare.....

And the crashmap.co.uk (put High Green into the search bar) confirms just how dangerous both of these junctions are are....

Absolute Nightmare!

(4 slight accidents in 5 years)

4 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Carnage! Nightmare!

Absolute Nightmare!

(4 slight accidents in 5 years)

I think you are looking at the wrong site, there are loads of flags on crashmap for that junction, incl a death in 2007.

But, and this is the salient point, everyone else I have discussed those two junctions with has said, unprompted, that they are a nightmare.

Yet you, apparently, think they're fine.

Trolling comes to mind. 

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Who said 'never' wrong?

Bargepole23 implied there was no way that I, or any other "unqualified" person, could know more than them.

Well, as my post #124 showed, they drop ****** and waste money left right and centre.

Edited by Chekhov

4 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

>>all the traffic from well over 100 houses would now be have to go up Bedford Rd and turn sharp left down Cockshutts, as all the cars coming in the other direction had to execute a sharp right hand turn. <<

Carnage! Nightmare!

It is a nightmare, particularly as there are almost always loads of cars parked there, all around a sharp blind junction, and probably 95% turn left as they exit (or right as they enter).

Look at it in Google streetview if you need convincing.

Basically it needs a load of double yellows but eth councils highways people say to fulfil the legal side of it, which is, apparently,  quite expensive, means it will probably never get done.

However, and this is the point, same as with Bedford St (which still has a load of redundant double yellows), if they'd altered the parking restrictions at the time, the legal stuff could all have been done at the same time for not that much more cost.

It was a basic error, twice.... 

Edited by Chekhov

15 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I think you are looking at the wrong site, there are loads of flags on there.

But, and this is the salient point, everyone else I have discussed those two junctions with has said, unprompted, that they are a nightmare.

Yet you, apparently, think they're fine.

Trolling comes to mind. 

11 slight accidents since 2013, which is when the camera speed control was introduced. No serious accidents, no fatalities.

If I zoom out to the area of North Sheffield, plenty more locations with serious incidents.

So, might be busy, awkward, whatever. But dangerous? The statistics say otherwise.