A Levels

57 minutes ago, Padders said:

My Grandaughter has just got 3 A's.

Now she's taking a year off, before going to Uni.

I don't gerrit Cuttsie, what's that all about, call it a Gap year or summat.

She'll be Nineteen in a year, then a couple or more years at Uni.

She'll be ruddy retired before she gets a job...

She won't be pulling pints at Padders then?

In other societies, people are respected for their skills - the joiner does not look down on the surgeon, and vive versa.  The accountant respects the waste collector, and so on.

Here, we seem to want to attack those who get qualifications (often the same ones we failed), and want to attack those who have achieved more (especailly academically) than themselves.  .....until of course they want their Doctor/Dentist/Acountant/.....  to give them advice...

We hear of people who "failed" at school, but did well in the workplace, having "a go" at education, especially teachers, but also wanting their offspring to do well at school.   Often a case of "I got it wrong and didn't learn at school - don't make the same mistake son" to the offstring, but panning the system in public.

OP is about A Levels.  Perhaps they are not what they were, perhaps times have changed, but at least they are a measure of success for youngsters in a closed exam system.  They are not grades "awarded" by their teachers as in other qualifacations.

You can only pass the exams you are faced with.  I say "Good Luck" to those youngsters willing to face the exam system.  That is the same good fortune to those who "pass" and those who did not.  Not everyone is an academic, not everybody achieves their peak at the time of an A Lvel exam.  Somehow society has to test people, at some stage and this looks as good as any we have so far.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

In other societies, people are respected for their skills - the joiner does not look down on the surgeon, and vive versa.  The accountant respects the waste collector, and so on.

Here, we seem to want to attack those who get qualifications (often the same ones we failed), and want to attack those who have achieved more (especailly academically) than themselves.  .....until of course they want their Doctor/Dentist/Acountant/.....  to give them advice...

We hear of people who "failed" at school, but did well in the workplace, having "a go" at education, especially teachers, but also wanting their offspring to do well at school.   Often a case of "I got it wrong and didn't learn at school - don't make the same mistake son" to the offstring, but panning the system in public.

OP is about A Levels.  Perhaps they are not what they were, perhaps times have changed, but at least they are a measure of success for youngsters in a closed exam system.  They are not grades "awarded" by their teachers as in other qualifacations.

You can only pass the exams you are faced with.  I say "Good Luck" to those youngsters willing to face the exam system.  That is the same good fortune to those who "pass" and those who did not.  Not everyone is an academic, not everybody achieves their peak at the time of an A Lvel exam.  Somehow society has to test people, at some stage and this looks as good as any we have so far.

This seems to be a peculiarly British thing. You don't get it to anywhere near the same extent in other countries. I put it down to our obsession with class. This country is riddled with class issues and always has been.

No wonder we have a dearth of tradespeople and craftsmen.

Thatcher also disparaged working people by shutting down much of the manufacturing industries in favour of banking and finance, and with the rise of the Yuppies made working hard for a living  an unattractive option. It was all about get rich quick schemes and investing in money rather than people. 

How many kids these days (especially the non-academic) aspire to becoming 'influencers' and the like, rather than a trade. Even sex workers, where the money is quick and easy. (Saw a TV prog on this last night...) We are in real trouble unless we can turn it around.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

What's so great about work that you want your grandkids to get stuck straight into it? They've got the rest of their lives to do that s***e.

Good luck to anybody who has the opportunity to travel or take some other opportunity before the have to start work.

I started work at 15 but I don't mind the young ones having a bit of fun at all.   I do wonder what makes people describe work as  s***e.

Work can be so rewarding in many different ways and I say that,  having spent most of my working life doing a filthy,  noisy,  sometimes heavy,  and sometimes dangerous job.

I can look back on those years and savour the great comradeship, satisfaction, and pride that my work brought, very often whilst having many a good laugh too.

Work takes up a major part of our lives for so many years and I feel sorry for anyone who finds it such a miserable time   -   their life must have dragged in the same way that their working days did.

Too many bone idle sods around these days.

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I started work at 15 but I don't mind the young ones having a bit of fun at all.   I do wonder what makes people describe work as  s***e.

Work can be so rewarding in many different ways and I say that,  having spent most of my working life doing a filthy,  noisy,  sometimes heavy,  and sometimes dangerous job.

I can look back on those years and savour the great comradeship, satisfaction, and pride that my work brought, very often whilst having many a good laugh too.

Work takes up a major part of our lives for so many years and I feel sorry for anyone who finds it such a miserable time   -   their life must have dragged in the same way that their working days did.

Too many bone idle sods around these days.

I agree up to a point. Yes, if you have a job doing something you like, it can be a pleasure, but most of us do not, and many of the things that compensated for that in the past have been taken away. I'm thinking of things like job satisfaction where you can be proud of a job well done, training, security, advancement up a career structure, friendships (sometimes lifelong) and a feeling of being a valued member of a team. 

Hard workers need to be recognised. They are not simply cogs in a wheel that can be replaced. People need to be appreciated no matter how humble their job. 

Many of the strikes going on at the present are not just about pay, but working conditions too which include all of the above. 

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1