Nurse Lucy Letby Has Been Found Guilty Of Murdering Seven Newborn Babies,

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

About to say, I am sure I read when they verdict was given that the mother was heard to have said "I don't believe this" or words to that effect. 

She actually said "This can't be right" Obviously in denial about what her daughter has done. 

13 hours ago, Axe said:

There is report that 'Lawful Enforcement' could be used to force her to attend court for sentencing.  The law might not need to be changed because there are powers already in place but are not used.

Changing the law is being used as a distraction, it's of no use.

15 minutes ago, El Cid said:

There was an article on GMB this morning regarding this, and they can only use "reasonable" force to take the defendant back into the dock for sentencing. As they are afraid they will get sued for "excessive" force they refuse to do so. Also, some would probably have to be chained and gagged to avoid disruption during the sentencing. Not an easy thing to change.

Edited by Dardandec

2 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

There was an article on GMB this morning regarding this, and they can only use "reasonable" force to take the defendant back into the dock for sentencing. As they are afraid they will get sued for "excessive" force they refuse to do so. Also, some would probably have to be chained and gagged to avoid disruption during the sentencing. Not an easy thing to change.

The Government would be better to concentrate on the NHS, so this cannot happen again.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I agree it is nonsense because the law does not need changing as there are powers already in place to force  criminals found guilty to attend sentencing which is part of the punishment. Peter Sutcliffe or Ian Huntley would never have got away with not attending sentencing because the prison officers would have used force to take them into the dock.  The UK justice system has become too soft towards convicted criminals over recent years.

54 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Just change the law to allow the defendant to be brought (forcibly if requires) into the Court Room. But be warned, what if she was so proud of her evil acts that she started showing off and upsetting families of her victims?

Exactly, so its a well meaning intention to bring people in but it can lead to bonkers situations where people just stand there screaming for an hour to disrupt things. Putting a TV in the cell is a good compromise.

• Like 1

Guest ThaBoom
23 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Exactly, so its a well meaning intention to bring people in but it can lead to bonkers situations where people just stand there screaming for an hour to disrupt things. Putting a TV in the cell is a good compromise.

I remember the Jeffery Dahmer trial in US.

The families of the victims did get a chance to read out statements towards the killer, and Dahmer listened- perhaps even had time to feel some remorse?

However,  one mother did go bonkers and tried to get to him, she was screaming and shouting.  I've also seen other trials where a father has tried to attack the accused.