Nurse Lucy Letby Has Been Found Guilty Of Murdering Seven Newborn Babies,

59 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

And Letby's parents . I cannot imagine the agony they are also going through . There lives have been blighted  for ever by the actions of their evil daughter.

I agree with this, though naturally people's sympathy will be with the families of the babies killed or maimed by Letby.

52 women are complaining about poor care and serious damage after giving birth in their maternity hospital (in Wakefield?) Several other women have been extremely worried about the lack of care for both themselves and their babies: too few midwives and doctors, hours spent alone with no contact, corners being cut, premature discharge from hospital etc

The number of women losing babies through miscarriages has gone up, as have neonatal deaths  

This suggests to me that there is yet another crisis in our hospitals affecting the maternity sector, and many nurses would agree. 

In a throwaway line in the newspaper this weekend it said that Lucy Letby was taking on as many extra shifts as she could manage because she was saving to buy a house. So statistically speaking it is not surprising that she was the nurse on  the shifts where babies died, and it was this, and only this, that started the accusations. 2 of the deaths that she was accused of occurred  when she was not at work at all. 

I hope the enquiry looks at all these aspects. The different interpretation of statistics can bring about very different outcomes.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Anna B said:

52 women are complaining about poor care and serious damage after giving birth in their maternity hospital (in Wakefield?) Several other women have been extremely worried about the lack of care for both themselves and their babies: too few midwives and doctors, hours spent alone with no contact, corners being cut, premature discharge from hospital etc

The number of women losing babies through miscarriages has gone up, as have neonatal deaths  

This suggests to me that there is yet another crisis in our hospitals affecting the maternity sector, and many nurses would agree. 

In a throwaway line in the newspaper this weekend it said that Lucy Letby was taking on as many extra shifts as she could manage because she was saving to buy a house. So statistically speaking it is not surprising that she was the nurse on  the shifts where babies died, and it was this, and only this, that started the accusations. 2 of the deaths that she was accused of occurred  when she was not at work at all. 

I hope the enquiry looks at all these aspects. The different interpretation of statistics can bring about very different outcomes.  

Is this the story you were referring to about Wakefield Hospital?

Pinderfields Hospital trust apology over maternity aftercare failures - BBC News

5 hours ago, Mister M said:

I heard on the news that at least 2 managers who did work as managers of the NHS Trust where Letby worked, but who subsequently left, have been suspended from their current roles.

I think this needs to happen across the NHS, Social Services, the Police or any outsourced company providing care for vulnerable people - and there are serious failings. Too often it's the managers who have all the power with no responsibility (and they will be driven by factors like reputational damage, not meeting targets, or highlighting budgetary constraints) but in this case, the clinicians have all the responsibility but no power.

There needs to be a comparable body for NHS & Social Care managers, as there is the GMC for doctors.

:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Not really, this thread is about someone who murdered actual, born children. Nothing at all to do with abortion and it's insulting to bring it into the mix. 

:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, cuttsie said:

And Letby's parents . I cannot imagine the agony they are also going through . There lives have been blighted  for ever by the actions of their evil daughter.

They believed she was innocent .

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Maybe she meant she couldn't believe her daughter was a monster. Hard to tell without context or other info. 

I doubt many parents would be able to get their heads around something like this. It must be a terrible time for them.