What Was The Best Film You Ever Saw ?

pattricia

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

I think the Dune remake is a million times better than the original

But you're right....its very rare

Look what they did to Ghostbusters 

Ghostbusters - Superb

Ghostbusters 2 - Excellent.  It gets a lot of stick but I like it just as much as the first one.

Ghostbusters with the SNL women and Thor (or was it Thor's brother?  Can't remember now) - Absolutely crap.

Ghostbusters with the kids - Haven't seen.  Heard it was disappointing.

Was talking about the Stephen King films the other night.  The two films remaking the (1990?) version of It are meant to be better than the original.  Can't beat the unabridged audiobook though; got to the standpipe bit and had to abandon it.  Literally gave me nightmares, and I don't get nightmares very often.  Narrator was perfect.

Almost impossible to answer Pattricia because it depends on the age you were, when you saw the film.

As a nipper I loved the Disney classics particularly Treasure Island 1950 and Robin Hood and his Merrie Men 1952 I even had the books for Christmas.

War films came next with the Dam Busters 1955 a particular favourite. When the music starts up I still get goose bumps, it's so nostalgic!

A Night to Remember 1958 about the Titanic's demise was another film that stands out rather than sinking without trace.

Hitchcock's Psycho in 1960 scared the wits out of me and my mate. He made it in black and white because he thought it would be too frightening in colour!

In 1962 The Longest Day was released recalling the D Day landings, albeit an American production filmed almost as a documentary. Its list of stars taking part is yet to be surpassed.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf 1966 I'd include simply for the superb acting between Burton and Taylor.

As a kid I also loved Westerns. They were staple viewing at the flicks but Soldier Blue 1970, which I saw with my wife to be, was altogether different.

Finally, Stars Wars 1977 deserves a mention for its innovative use of CG I.

It's funny but most of the films I've mentioned are black and white. It must be my age; and on that theme Laurel and Hardy were hilarious also.

Which one would I choose, I don't know. I've even forgotten the ones listed by now!

echo.

Edited by echo beach

10 hours ago, echo beach said:

Almost impossible to answer Pattricia because it depends on the age you were, when you saw the film.

As a nipper I loved the Disney classics particularly Treasure Island 1950 and Robin Hood and his Merrie Men 1952 I even had the books for Christmas.

War films came next with the Dam Busters 1955 a particular favourite. When the music starts up I still get goose bumps, it's so nostalgic!

A Night to Remember 1958 about the Titanic's demise was another film that stands out rather than sinking without trace.

Hitchcock's Psycho in 1960 scared the wits out of me and my mate. He made it in black and white because he thought it would be too frightening in colour!

In 1962 The Longest Day was released recalling the D Day landings, albeit an American production filmed almost as a documentary. Its list of stars taking part is yet to be surpassed.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf 1966 I'd include simply for the superb acting between Burton and Taylor.

As a kid I also loved Westerns. They were staple viewing at the flicks but Soldier Blue 1970, which I saw with my wife to be, was altogether different.

Finally, Stars Wars 1977 deserves a mention for its innovative use of CG I.

It's funny but most of the films I've mentioned are black and white. It must be my age; and on that theme Laurel and Hardy were hilarious also.

Which one would I choose, I don't know. I've even forgotten the ones listed by now!

echo.

I very much doubt CGI was around in 1977.

7 hours ago, top4718 said:

I very much doubt CGI was around in 1977.

Given that Industrial Light and Magic was created for the first Star Wars film it certainly deserves a mention for innovation.

On 22/08/2023 at 13:05, Hecate said:

Ghostbusters with the kids - Haven't seen.  Heard it was disappointing.

It popped up on Netflix the other day and I watched it, I actually thought it was fairly decent, quite a few nods towards the original film.

Harold Ramis handled in a respectful way... overall I'd say 7 or 8 out of 10, didn't blow my socks off, but still good.

Grease is one of my favourite films infact if they filmed Grease 3, the Forum could provide the perfect cast,  obviously being the cool guy that I am, I would play Danny Zuko,  HHR could play Kanicky because he thinks he is as cool as me,  Padders, Hackey and Mr Bloke could play the  three T birds,  Patricia's role would obviously be Sandy,   the Pink Ladies would be Cressida as Rizzo, Anna B as Frenchie and Francy as the other one , who's name I don't know, Axe could play the Villian, :hihi: there you go cast sorted. 

1 minute ago, PRESLEY said:

Grease is one of my favourite films infact if they filmed Grease 3, the Forum could provide the perfect cast,  obviously being the cool guy that I am, I would play Danny Zuko,  HHR could play Kanicky because he thinks he is as cool as me,  Padders, Hackey and Mr Bloke could play the  three T birds,  Patricia's role would obviously be Sandy,   the Pink Ladies would be Cressida as Rizzo, Anna B as Frenchie and Francy as the other one , who's name I don't know, Axe could play the Villian, :hihi: there you go cast sorted. 

I'll just get mi Be-Bopping shoes out......