Are You Losing It?

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

Bang on Anna ,why some think age gives one the right to act obnoxiously or daft is beyond me. 

I quite agree with you again.

But, I'm afraid it has nothing to do with age.    -    those individuals are simply obnoxious or daft anyway.

They'll not think old age is so funny as they lose their partners, their brothers & sisters,  their friends and neighbours and,  very  often,  even their kids.

Oh it's ok,  I can have a good loud fart    -    speaks a lot for their mental processes which are going down the pan already apparently.

Edited by Organgrinder

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I quite agree with you again.

But, I'm afraid it has nothing to do with age.    -    those individuals are simply obnoxious or daft anyway.

They'll not think old age is so funny as they lose their partners, their brothers & sisters,  their friends and neighbours and,  very  often,  even their kids.

Oh it's ok,  I can have a good loud fart    -    speaks a lot for their mental processes which are going down the pan already apparently.

But more importantly, can you let a proper trouser buster rip in a lift?

31 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Axe springs to mind. :hihi:

Axe posts 'tongue in cheek' at times,  his posts are never vulgar like some on here (upbringing?)  and Organgrinder makes very valid points - they are good adversaries and I agree with both quite often.

Think it runs in my family tbh lol, as a kid my Grandma would always reel off about 14 family members names before she got to the correct one, i'd get called allsorts before my proper name was used. she did live well into her 90s however.

On 19/08/2023 at 16:01, Padders said:

I'll not mention your trouser incident...

Still makes me laugh :hihi:

Me too   🥴  🤣

Actually that happened a few years ago now and I haven't done it since  ......  so maybe I'm getting better not worse !   🤣

Edited by francypants
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Anna B said:

You have my sympathy dsweetman, it's not funny at all. 

I think we all fear it as we age, either as a sufferer or a carer, maybe that's why this thread has segwayed into a discussion about farts!

I hope you're getting some support from family, friends or outside agencies, (try age uk) as it's terribly difficult to deal with alone, and you need some respite. It's a disgrace that dementia is not considered an illness and therefore not funded in care homes, which might in the end, inevitably be the only solution. But with some help, you may be able to cope at home a little more easily, and for longer.

Every case is different but it must be awful for you both. Someone I know who is in a similar position was saying that the problems occur when the sufferer is expected/ made to fit into the norms of society, when actually they are much happier in their own little world of fantasy, and accepted on those terms. I don't know if that's true, or if it helps at all. She also has the support of her church community which she says is a Godsend (literally) and she couldn't manage without.    

Thank you for your understanding.I am very fortunate in that our daughter only lives 85 miles from us and helps out with various events.I am a member of a classic car club and some members are aware and help where they can,neighbours across the road  were involved with this illness when working with the nhs (prior to retirement) and have offered help plus my next door neighbour has her husband who has the same condition!My biggest problem is the wifes dread of being put into a home because her mother and her grandmother ended up in homes with the same illness!

3 hours ago, dsweetman said:

Thank you for your understanding.I am very fortunate in that our daughter only lives 85 miles from us and helps out with various events.I am a member of a classic car club and some members are aware and help where they can,neighbours across the road  were involved with this illness when working with the nhs (prior to retirement) and have offered help plus my next door neighbour has her husband who has the same condition!My biggest problem is the wifes dread of being put into a home because her mother and her grandmother ended up in homes with the same illness!

It's good that you have offers of help. It would be good if you could arrange a regular day or afternoon off for yourself every week to have some free time to look forward to, and to recharge your batteries.

Age UK have day care facilities 10am - 3pm, where they do activities and therapy groups for dementia sufferers. They cost about £30 for half a day, but funding may be available. They are also a very good source of tips, advice and coping strategies as well as other help. 

There are probably other places that do similar things, and online groups and forums too.

Or Maybe you could arrange a reciprocal agreement with your neighbour to have her husband round to your house one afternoon a week to watch TV or some such, and then swap over so she takes care of your wife another afternoon while you have time off. Only you know if that would work.

I would say to anyone in this situation, that to be able to look after someone who depends on you, it's really important you look after yourself as well. 

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

It's good that you have offers of help. It would be good if you could arrange a regular day or afternoon off for yourself every week to have some free time to look forward to, and to recharge your batteries.

Age UK have day care facilities 10am - 3pm, where they do activities and therapy groups for dementia sufferers. They cost about £30 for half a day, but funding may be available. They are also a very good source of tips, advice and coping strategies as well as other help. 

There are probably other places that do similar things, and online groups and forums too.

Or Maybe you could arrange a reciprocal agreement with your neighbour to have her husband round to your house one afternoon a week to watch TV or some such, and then swap over so she takes care of your wife another afternoon while you have time off. Only you know if that would work.

I would say to anyone in this situation, that to be able to look after someone who depends on you, it's really important you look after yourself as well. 

Respite is for the carer as well as the patient .

Edited by harvey19
  • Like 1