Abbeydale Road Bus Lanes

i dont often go that way,but about 4.40pm i was traveling towards greenhill after calling at the vets on london road, when i got to the broadfield road junction i had a bus at the front and back of me,firstly through the lights the bus could not get into the inside lane because of parked cars to a bus stop,despite clear signs stating no parking after 4.30pm bus lane,we proceed and again the bus could not use the bus lane and i turned off at archer road,why is it not monitered by camera and these people charged for the disruption.i also notice cars breaking the law in a morning going into bus lanes again wrong at certain times,but its like folk all demand 20mph on estates but it cannot be monitered so what can one do?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

i dont often go that way,but about 4.40pm i was traveling towards greenhill after calling at the vets on london road, when i got to the broadfield road junction i had a bus at the front and back of me,firstly through the lights the bus could not get into the inside lane because of parked cars to a bus stop,despite clear signs stating no parking after 4.30pm bus lane,we proceed and again the bus could not use the bus lane and i turned off at archer road,why is it not monitered by camera and these people charged for the disruption.i also notice cars breaking the law in a morning going into bus lanes again wrong at certain times,but its like folk all demand 20mph on estates but it cannot be monitered so what can one do?

Parking can’t be enforced by camera except at school entrance markings. ( because that’s how the government wants it to be).

It would be rather difficult ( and some would say draconian) to enforce every part of every bus lane. I don’t know of anywhere that does.

The bus lane cameras that are in place are put in locations where bus operators have complained that abuse of the bus lane is delaying services.

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Parking can’t be enforced by camera except at school entrance markings. ( because that’s how the government wants it to be).

It would be rather difficult ( and some would say draconian) to enforce every part of every bus lane. I don’t know of anywhere that does.

The bus lane cameras that are in place are put in locations where bus operators have complained that abuse of the bus lane is delaying services.

So if that is the case why is the broadfield road junction not covered by cameras? This has been an issue for years and has been reported hundreds of times

It really is shocking on Abbeydale Road for law flouting drivers parking where they like. Herries Road (east end) is bad too with cars abandoned on the pavement. Parking Enforcement Officers need to venture further than the city centre and the streets with parking metres and issue penalties for areas where people are chancing it. Imagine the money it could bring in if once a week (different days of the week, different times, to catch people out), Officers did a blitz on Abbeydale Road, Herries Road, Attercliffe Road (where the Post Office is). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

So if that is the case why is the broadfield road junction not covered by cameras? This has been an issue for years and has been reported hundreds of times

Reported hundreds of times to whom? What’s the issue?

The locations for the cameras are discussed with the operators at the regular meetings the council have with them. The ones that are proven to actually delay services are the ones considered for cameras.

There can also be site specific issues to consider when putting up cameras, like having something suitable to put them on.

5 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Reported hundreds of times to whom? What’s the issue?

The locations for the cameras are discussed with the operators at the regular meetings the council have with them. The ones that are proven to actually delay services are the ones considered for cameras.

There can also be site specific issues to consider when putting up cameras, like having something suitable to put them on.

A pole? - plenty of them around there.

• Like 1

There was (is?) a plan to put red-lines along abbeydale road.

The red lines mean that camera-evidence can be used to issue fines. Clearly this is a good idea.

But people lost their minds about this unjustified attack on the hard-working motorist, so it's probably not happening now.

Edited by ads36

15 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Both Stagecoach and First have been complaining about the abuse of Angel St for years but the council refuse to put a camera on the bus gate. 

They claim there's no need and have made the situation worse by narrowing Angel St. 

Opposite end, there have been no complaints made regarding Granville Road bus lane however a camera has gone up....

1 minute ago, Resident said:

Both Stagecoach and First have been complaining about the abuse of Angel St for years but the council refuse to put a camera on the bus gate. 

They claim there's no need and have made the situation worse by narrowing Angel St. 

Opposite end, there have been no complaints made regarding Granville Road bus lane however a camera has gone up....

No surprise there at all - co-ordination between council departments is non-existent, so why would it be any different with outside bodies?