Bus Timetable Changes 3 September 2023

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Is there? Thought that was quietly binned ages ago, it originally went through to the Airport, then it got cut back, and then was binned? 

Edit - looks like it's back next week. Sundays only. One day a week

https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/TSY/media/Timetables/257-Sheffield-valid-from-03-September-2023-(PDF-932kb).pdf?ext=.pdf

There used to be a daily one, trying to remember the number now. 

X57 - run by Hulleys.

Edited by RollingJ
  • Like 1

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

You are thinking of the Manchester service. This is a new service that runs from the Interchange to Broomhill, Crosspool, Ladybower, Fearfall Wood, Snake Forest and Glossop. Service 257. 

I was thinking of this one

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/transport/sheffield-to-manchester-bus-route-to-be-axed-next-year-3473481

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

Just now, RollingJ said:

The problem is, where ever a PTE has been 'created', said PTE does not listen to or allow the bus operators to influence decisions (that they probably have a greater understanding of), but base them on purely political rather than practical considerations.

I know I have probably mentioned this before, somewhere, but down in the South East area, East and West Sussex, Hampshire  (all County Councils) actually co-operate so that you can buy one - admittedly only day ticket - and use almost any stage-carriage service in any of the four counties.

I wonder why? 🤣

I agree that it works best when they let the bus companies make decisions, they know what's best for them and their customers.

Regarding one day tickets, there is a ticket introduced by Derbyshire Council. It's called a Derbyshire Wayfarer and can be used on most buses in Derbyshire and train services to Derbyshire from Sheffield station. It's quite useful for visiting the Derbyshire Dales or Matlock.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes, that one disappeared a while ago now. I suppose one can only hold one's bladder for so long, traffic must have been a factor in the Manchester area too. 

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

I agree that it works best when they let the bus companies make decisions, they know what's best for them and their customers.

Regarding one day tickets, there is a ticket introduced by Derbyshire Council. It's called a Derbyshire Wayfarer and can be used on most buses in Derbyshire and train services to Derbyshire from Sheffield station. It's quite useful for visiting the Derbyshire Dales or Matlock.

The Derbyshire Wayfarer has been in existence for quite a number of years and can also be used on buses which go into Derbyshire from Sheffield.

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Yes, that one disappeared a while ago now. I suppose one can only hold one's bladder for so long, traffic must have been a factor in the Manchester area too. 

The major hold-up on that route was in the Glossop area - didn't notice much of an issue Manchester way when I used it.

Edited by RollingJ
  • Like 1

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

The reason it failed was quite simply a lack of passengers no more, no less.

12 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

And will be the same reason the Sunday new service will fail, although I assume that's being propped up by county council funding anyway. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

And will be the same reason the Sunday new service will fail, although I assume that's being propped up by county council funding anyway. 

I rode it all the way to Glossop, and it was busy, even after Fearfall Wood, with a plethora of passengers waiting to board the bus back to Sheffield when we arrived at the terminus. It's a summer Sunday only service, so fairly low risk and abstract, aimed at tourists and ramblers.

36 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Yes and why do you think there were no passengers? 🙄