Latest Way They Influence Us (Tell Us. ) All How To Think

29 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Of course!

The very nature of the legislation, broadly written and and nebulously practised, ensures it can be used for selective prosecution,  by whoever is in power at the moment.

I don't think anybody has been the subject of hate speech to the extent that successful people in their field like Trump, Tucker Carlson, Elon Musk, Dr Jordan Peterson, together with the Republican Party, Republican voters and conservatives in general.

Of course, if someone on the left claimed that they were the victims of something, you'd have right wingers droning on about 'woke lefty victimhood' nonsense.

Perhaps if people on the right are subject to more criticism for hate speech, it's because they engage in it more.

29 minutes ago, trastrick said:

But ironically it is they who are seen as the haters in society.  :)

What's ironic about that?

Even shortly after he was elected Trump was mocking a disabled journalist with cerebral palsy

32 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Perhaps if people on the right are subject to more criticism for hate speech, it's because they engage in it more.

Nice deflection!  :)

Nothing wrong with criticism.

But I was talking about the Right being the subjects of hate speech.

Anything goes, if it's against the Right!

"Irredeemable deplorables" - Hillary

"Semi Fascists" - Biden

And they were talking about  conservative U.S. voters, about half the U.S. electorate! :)

That's political rhetoric straight from circa 1939 Germany.

Edited by trastrick

55 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Of course, if someone on the left claimed that they were the victims of something, you'd have right wingers droning on about 'woke lefty victimhood' nonsense.

What's ironic about that?

Even shortly after he was elected Trump was mocking a disabled journalist with cerebral palsy

That was a bad move!

But it also could have been an unusual and unfortunate co-incident.

Trump claims he never met the man, and had no idea what he looked like, he said he was mocking a journalist who was grovelling to take back something he said 14 years ago.

But he's an equal opportunity insulter, he doesn't look to see what color , sex, sexual preference, religion, ethnic background, disability they have, or political party they come from.

If he thinks they are idiots, he'll insult them.

With mixed results, obviously! :)

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Nice deflection!  :)

Nothing wrong with criticism.

But I was talking about the Right being the subjects of hate speech.

Anything goes, if it's against the Right!

"Irredeemable deplorables" - Hillary

"Semi Fascists" - Biden

And they were talking about  conservative U.S. voters, about half the U.S. electorate! :)

That's political rhetoric straight from circa 1939 Germany.

Listen I'm in no way trying to portray the left as angels who wouldn't dream of throwing mud.

That horrible campaign earlier this year by the Labour Party where they had Sunak's face next to a question about the low conviction rate of child abusers was utterly deplorable, and I totally condemn it. If people claim they don't like being the subject of those kinds of smears (as Starmer did when Boris linked him to Jimmy Saville), well then they shouldn't retaliate in the same terms.

On a wider point, I can't be the only one to have noticed this massive increase in the word 'woke', and what people think woke is. Initially, IIRC, it was coined by African Americans in the 1940s to mean to become aware of injustices. Now the gutter press have co opted it as an insult to anyone  on the left. Like with the term 'politically correct' it's used as a term of abuse.

I certainly think the press, and to a lesser extent social media are responsible for toxifying political debates where debate quickly descends into the gutter. 

In terms of the opening post, I think aspects of conscious advertising are really important when it comes to children and learning. 

Through something I heard on the radio I became aware of the 'Let Toys Be Toys' campaign which is a great idea to take the gender stereotyping out of play, books and toys, so that boys and girls can enjoy which ever toys and resources suit their individual interests and dispositions. This movement which has been going for a number of years, is a grass roots organisation made up of volunteers which receives no public finding. Teachers and child care practitioners have reported great success with their approved resources in terms of the willingness of children not to label some things as 'only for boys' or 'only for girls'.

Years after the fact, GBNews picks up on the ideals of the movement and labels it as 'woke':

Lego launches new gender neutral toys as experts warn woke ideologies are being forced on children (gbnews.com)

Nobody is forcing anything on children - in fact it's the exact opposite.

The only people here telling others to think as they do are GBNews with their labelling ideas as woke.

Edited by Mister M

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Listen I'm in no way trying to portray the left as angels who wouldn't dream of throwing mud.

That horrible campaign earlier this year by the Labour Party where they had Sunak's face next to a question about the low conviction rate of child abusers was utterly deplorable, and I totally condemn it. If people claim they don't like being the subject of those kinds of smears (as Starmer did when Boris linked him to Jimmy Saville), well then they shouldn't retaliate in the same terms.

On a wider point, I can't be the only one to have noticed this massive increase in the word 'woke', and what people think woke is. Initially, IIRC, it was coined by African Americans in the 1940s to mean to become aware of injustices. Now the gutter press have co opted it as an insult to anyone  on the left. Like with the term 'politically correct' it's used as a term of abuse.

I certainly think the press, and to a lesser extent social media are responsible for toxifying political debates where debate quickly descends into the gutter. 

In terms of the opening post, I think aspects of conscious advertising are really important when it comes to children and learning. 

Through something I heard on the radio I heard about the 'Let Toys Be Toys' campaign which is a great idea to take the gender stereotyping out of play, books and toys, so that boys and girls can enjoy which ever toys and resources suit their individual interests and dispositions. This movement which has been going for a number of years, is a grass roots organisation made up of volunteers which receives no public finding. Teachers and child care practitioners have reported great success with their approved resources in terms of the willingness of children not to label some things as 'only for boys' or 'only for girls'.

Years after the fact, GBNews picks up on the ideals of the movement and labels it as 'woke':

Lego launches new gender neutral toys as experts warn woke ideologies are being forced on children (gbnews.com)

Nobody is forcing anything on children - in fact it's the exact opposite.

The only people here telling others to think as they do are GBNews with their lebelling ideas as woke.

Agree with this but I think social media is the main culprit. It's absolute poison in so many ways and is turning us all against each other when in all likelihood most folk would  enjoy each others company.

Tiktok and twitter is the absolute pits.

Just now, Al Bundy said:

Edited by Al Bundy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Agree with this but I think social media is the main culprit. It's absolute poison in so many ways and is turning us all against each other when in all likelihood most folk would  enjoy each others company.

Tiktok and twitter is the absolute pits.

Never mind social media, I think the Daily Mail is certainly equally guilty of this...

On 24/08/2023 at 08:54, Delayed said:

That's what comes with using public transport. You'll see things you won't like even when you are off the bus and walking. 

The bus companies don't cater to what you agree with.  When I use a taxi I don't like the music being played but I just have to put up with it whilst I'm using their service. 

I suggest you buy a car or ignore things you don't like. 

Interesting...

A Leftie authoritarian (who is almost certainly also in favour of restricting our lives due to "Nett Zero") telling me not to use public transport but use my car instead.

23 hours ago, Mister M said:

>>Jack Grey said  

Because the current Tory party are more left wing than Blair <<

Or it could be because you're more right wing than the current Tory Party

No, Jack is right, it's all here :

I Haven't Changed My Politics, It's Society And Politics That Has Changed [moved to the authoritarian Woke Left]

Stuff that's taken for "normal" these days would have been laughed at only 20 years ago, certainly 30 years ago.

Can you imagine in the 1990s a speaker being no platformed because they didn't believe people could change their sex with the stroke of a pen ?

Or historic monuments being torn down and/or having their names changed for something that happened over 200 years ago and was legal then ?

Or that the whole of society was forced to stay at home and schools closed for months on end because of a virus with a 1 in 100 death rate and an av age of death in the early 80s?

Or that parents who want to photograph their own kids at school or competing at anything are thought to be "selfish" ?

Or that the police could be called because someone was offended by a joke ?

Or that people's holidays (and even heating) will be taxed out of reach !

Consequently I would say that it's people who support all this kind of stuff are the ones who have moved socially and politically, not me, or most people : the silent majority.

Edited by Chekhov

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Interesting...

A Leftie authoritarian (who is almost certainly also in favour of restricting our lives due to "Nett Zero") telling me not to use public transport but use my car instead.

Again, stop making things up about me. 

And there's a difference between telling and suggesting.