India's Moon Landing.

12 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I like to see it as a counterbalance to the purile left-wing rubbish you usually spout. 

Anyway, only a few posts in & YOU drag the debate into a race argument.  It must be a new record for loosing an argument?

Once again, you bring nothing to to SF. 

Go on, toddle off to bed.  'You' ve a 'busy' day  tomorrow.  Go on, off you go, sleepyhead. 

Well, he is a supporter of the Guardian, it's what they thrive on.

8 hours ago, Resident said:

Always the case with the left. Can't think of an intelligent counter argument, call the other side an *insert term*-ist in hopes that it drowns out the actual point being made.

Seems to be the case with you too      -      the thread is about the Indian Moon Landing  and you haven't mentioned it.

Neither have you mentioned anything else except to try to insult the left,  which can't work anyway,  because you haven't got an argument in there.

You should avoid using the word  "intelligent"  when you are about to make yourself look silly..

Edited by Organgrinder

14 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Great achievement for them being the first country to land at the Moon's South Pole. 

The cost?  The equivalent of £60 million. 

In 2022/2023, the UK apparently sent India £33.4 million in aid.  This is going to rise to £57 million. 

You know, something tells me they clearly don't need our money anymore!

Where are you getting your figures from?

I'm no NASA scientist but I'm pretty confident it costs a hell of a lot more than £60m to send something to the moon

You sure you don't mean £6 billion 

Our 'Aid' to countries is about more than just money (intended to help the poorest...) 

It's more about links, influence, a route inside the workings of a country, and diplomacy etc. 

But yes, IMO you're right to think it's wrong to give money to a country that can afford a space program, when there is so much dire need at home, (indeed as in India as well.) 

Governments are often more interested in prestige both at home and abroad than in their own people's well being. Personally I'd like to see money spent on sorting things out on Earth, before heading to the Moon.

Edited by Anna B

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Our 'Aid' to countries is about more than just money (intended to help the poorest...) 

It's more about links, influence, a route inside the workings of a country, and diplomacy etc. 

But yes, IMO you're right to think it's wrong to give money to a country that can afford a space program, when there is so much dire need at home, (indeed as in India as well.) 

Governments are often more interested in prestige both at home and abroad than in their own people's well being. 

Always good to remember that India also have nuclear weapons

And Pakistan 

We send them money too 

Edited by Jack Grey

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

Where are you getting your figures from?

I'm no NASA scientist but I'm pretty confident it costs a hell of a lot more than £60m to send something to the moon

You sure you don't mean £6 billion 

It's been widely reported that it cost about $75m.

Here's the Beeb's report on costs:

14:45 23 Aug

How has India kept the cost of its space programme so low?

The cost of India’s space missions is back in focus after the country’s Chandrayaan-3 made a successful soft landing on the Moon.

The mission costs 6.1bn rupees ($75m; £58m). This is less than half the $200m cost of Russia’s Luna-25 spacecraft which crashed on Sunday.

India’s previous Moon and Mars missions were also carried out at a modest cost, according to reports by Indian media.

They attribute this to Isro's efforts to prevent “wastage of products”.

Explaining why India’s Mars mission cost less than its US counterpart, UK space scientist Prof Andrew Coates told the BBC that India restricted the payload of the Mangalyaan craft to 15kg, which kept the successful mission “small”.

India’s launch costs could go lower still as the country plans to build a new spaceport at Kulasekarapattinam in the southern state of Tamil Nadu, senior Isro scientists told BBC Tamil.

The port with an ideal launch location will reduce transportation costs.