Uber

7 hours ago, badab1ng said:

Visiting from Canada shortly, how is the Uber service in Sheffield ? Would you recommend other taxi companies ?

User service is good in the centre and within a couple of miles of the centre, which is where i use it, rarely more than 7-8 minutes for a cab. Outside of that, not sure.

• Like 1

Most of the drivers for other firms also drive for uber. I dropped my motorbike in for a service a couple of weeks back, tried booking a cab home through the city taxis app, it showed there were 5 or 6 on the area, but didnt assign a driver. After 15 minutes waiting I cancelled that, booked one with uber, it turned up within 5 minutes and the car had both uber and city logos on the door. My wife had the same experience coming home from a night out last week. Can only think the drivers make more money from uber bookings so turn down the city ones in the hope an uber one comes up. 

33 minutes ago, slh73 said:

Most of the drivers for other firms also drive for uber. I dropped my motorbike in for a service a couple of weeks back, tried booking a cab home through the city taxis app, it showed there were 5 or 6 on the area, but didnt assign a driver. After 15 minutes waiting I cancelled that, booked one with uber, it turned up within 5 minutes and the car had both uber and city logos on the door. My wife had the same experience coming home from a night out last week. Can only think the drivers make more money from uber bookings so turn down the city ones in the hope an uber one comes up. 

The aforementioned evening I was getting a taxi it was costing a fiver more on City Taxis app than it was on Uber, so its not always the case they make more money unless the cut they take is much bigger.

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

The aforementioned evening I was getting a taxi it was costing a fiver more on City Taxis app than it was on Uber, so its not always the case they make more money unless the cut they take is much bigger.

It was the same for me, city was showing a couple of quid more than uber, but no drivers were accepting jobs via city. Can only assume that city takes a bigger cut of the fare than uber.