Aberystwyth? route to? worth going?

Interested in folks views of Aberystwyth

Partly, how on earth do you get there? Google seems to offer many routes - so maybe there isn't one good way - welcome experiences

What's it like? We stopped going to North Wales because of how unfriendly the Welsh can be - is Aberystwyth same/better/worse?

2 minutes ago, Skink said:

Partly, how on earth do you get there? Google seems to offer many routes - so maybe there isn't one good way - welcome experiences

What's it like? We stopped going to North Wales because of how unfriendly the Welsh can be - is Aberystwyth same/better/worse?

No matter how you go its going to be a nightmare to get there, given lack of major trunk roads, Google Maps is suggesting a number of routes as you say, probably depends if you fancy going via Birmingham or not. Personally I would be going the way via Wrexham and Oswestry it suggests.

This Sheffield bloke has been three times and never encountered any unfriendliness.

The beloved and I went with my folks in the 80, and we've taken grandchildren twice since (in the noughties).

Depends what your expectations are. It's quiet. A university town. One of my old bosses took his architecture degree in Aberystwyth. He loved it too.

20 hours ago, Skink said:

Unfortunately that's the way we found it to be. Tried saying "Good morning" a few times and just got glared at. I go to the South Coast and South East now and find the people down there to be friendly.

I went a couple of years back, it was incredibly run down with little to do.

Its no longer the gem of Cardigan Bay it once was.

https://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/news/even-seagulls-shun-aberystwyth-beach-561556

https://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/news/has-the-state-of-aberystwyth-improved-or-is-the-dirty-old-town-dirtier-than-ever-634136

Edited by alchresearch

6 minutes ago, classicfan said:

Went last week and loved the town. We drove over Woodhead, followed sat nav round Manchester and Wrexham,  Welshpool, Oswestry ? Took 3 hrs 45mins.

The new Manchester Airport Eastern Link Road makes it much easier to get onto the M56 to head towards Chester/Wrexham/N Wales without having to suffer the Woodhead or the Snake, usually head through Castleton and go up Winnats and head to near Whaley Bridge and past Disley and join with the relief road just before Hazel Grove.

Obviously a good alternative route for the airport too. If Winnats is shut just head past Sparrowpit down to Calver.

Edited by HeHasRisen