Asylum Backlog Reaches Record High.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66603767

The number of people in the UK waiting for a decision on their asylum claims has risen to a record high, latest Home Office figures show.

More than 175,000 people were waiting for a decision on whether they will be granted refugee status at the end of June 2023 - up 44% from last year.

In December 2022, PM Rishi Sunak set a target of clearing the so-called legacy backlog by the end of the year.

Officials have cleared on average 2,061 cases a month since then.

With 67,870 cases remaining, the Home Office will have to process 11,311 cases per month if it is to meet its target.

I wonder if things are slowing down as the government have to find accommodation for them first before a decision is taken.

Edited by cressida

10 minutes ago, cressida said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66603767

The number of people in the UK waiting for a decision on their asylum claims has risen to a record high, latest Home Office figures show.

More than 175,000 people were waiting for a decision on whether they will be granted refugee status at the end of June 2023 - up 44% from last year.

In December 2022, PM Rishi Sunak set a target of clearing the so-called legacy backlog by the end of the year.

Officials have cleared on average 2,061 cases a month since then.

With 67,870 cases remaining, the Home Office will have to process 11,311 cases per month if it is to meet its target.

I wonder if things are slowing down as the government have to find accommodation for them first before a decision is taken.

No unfortunately not. 

No accommodation wouldn't stop an asylum decision being made. It's just that asylum decisions are long, complex and can't be decided same day depending on the nature of the claim. The public won't know but a lot of research has to be done before making these decisions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

No unfortunately not. 

No accommodation wouldn't stop an asylum decision being made. It's just that asylum decisions are long, complex and can't be decided same day depending on the nature of the claim. The public won't know but a lot of research has to be done before making these decisions. 

That's reassuring then,  I wonder if it will speed up towards the general election,   I read a while ago the Tories had new plans to be revealed at the end of the year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, vmam said:

Can't comment as the censorship that's rife will remove my post, truth is a very important word.

But you can choose your words carefully so as to convey what you believe without being grossly offensive.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Maybe they should employ more people to get through the applications faster rather than trying to appease the racists by buying barges to house them....just a thought

I think some people on here were only saddened by the fact that the Government ordered the asylum seekers off the barge once a deadly bacteria was found on it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mister M said:

But you can choose your words carefully so as to convey what you believe without being grossly offensive.

that'll occupy the few remaining brain cells you have left.

Not that I'd even want to convince a moron like you.

Enjoy being a miserable ****, you ******

did you choose these words carefully, misterm

there seems to be a game of virtue signalling one-upmanship going on at the moment, all these people pretending to be nice, when in fact they are anything but.

and then there's the reporting bullying games, all under the radar, as it's always been on here.