Fund Started To Appeal Sentence For Lucy Letby

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12439191/Fundraiser-launched-appeal-Lucy-Letby-conviction.html     (also one for baby victims)

A fundraiser has been launched to appeal serial killer Lucy Letby's conviction as a campaigner claims that the nurse's trial for her sickening crimes 'may represent one of the greatest miscarriages of justice ever'.

Edited by cressida

59 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Good. IMO it needs to be looked at again.

What on earth are you on about? 

Are you claiming an error was made in the process of the trial or that new evidence has come to light, as AFAIK that's the only reason you can appeal, you can't appeal merely because you didn't like the decision. 

2 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Was she convicted on circumstantial evidence alone ?

I'm not sure, I haven't read the court transcripts, but from what I have read it seems so.

Having said that, there were 14 babies involved, half of which died, (and it only needs her to be undoubtedly guilty of one to be enough to convict her,)

But 7 babies recovered so she was accused of attempted murder of those. By definition all the babies in hospital are ill and/ or very fragile, one, for instance was nearly 3 months premature, another was deprived of oxygen during a very difficult birth. Premature babies tend to become ill very rapidly, and equally can also recover quickly, especially with breathing problems which some of them had.

None of the verdicts were agreed on by all the Jury, who had all heard the same evidence, most decisions were split almost 50/50 sometimes the conviction came down to just one vote.

Letby did the most shifts, (she was saving for a house so did all the shifts she could manage,) so statistically was likely to be the one on duty with all the babies, although she was not there when 2 babies died.

IMO enough doubt to declare an unsafe verdict. 

I can imagine the febrile conditions inside the hospital when the babies died: everyone upset and looking for reasons, and in the case of management, someone to blame when it could no longer be covered up / ignored. And so everyone would begin watching their backs.

This was reflected in Letby's emails, personal diaries and scribblings. Isn't it quite natural when you care deeply to ask yourself,  'Is it me? Is it something I've done? A mistake I've made? something I've missed? Which she did. And as the tension rose to almost hysterical proportions and assuming she could see she was going to get the blame, to write hysterically, (It was me. I did it!!) as in 'so they think it was me! I did it!!'

Her scribbled handwriting (very different from earlier) suggests a mind under great distress.

Many people have testified to her caring nature and soundness as an experienced nurse for many years. Why she would suddenly do this cannot be explained. I'm not saying she is innocent, but IMO there is room for doubt, and as this is a lifelong sentence, I think it should be looked at again.

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

What on earth are you on about? 

Are you claiming an error was made in the process of the trial or that new evidence has come to light, as AFAIK that's the only reason you can appeal, you can't appeal merely because you didn't like the decision. 

I've seen some things on this forum over the years, but I have to say that seeing someone clutching at straws in an attempt to defend a woman who murdered and maimed babies was not on my bingo card.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Good. IMO it needs to be looked at again.

I have to say it seems so evil it just might untrue.

Nobody knows for 100% certain that anyone is guilty, there have been countless miscarriages of justice.

3 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I've seen some things on this forum over the years, but I have to say that seeing someone clutching at straws in an attempt to defend a woman who murdered and maimed babies was not on my bingo card.

If those babies had died a few weeks before their birth, certainly after the point when they could live on their own, would that not also be evil ?

I seem to remember a mother killing off her baby way past that point and getting people on here defending her, or at the very least arguing she should not even have to go to jail for it....

Edited by Chekhov